PDA

View Full Version : this murphy bed plan

Jeff Cremers
04-14-2009, 9:57 AM
I have looked on the World Wide Web and can't find any plans for something like this. Does anybody know of any.

I really like this Murphy bed style but can't find any plans for this book shelf one.
Thanks
Jeff
http://www.hardwoodartisans.com/images/murphylibrary3.jpg

Jamie Buxton
04-14-2009, 10:46 AM
It looks like a fairly-standard Murphy bed, with sliding bookcases in front. You could buy the CreataBed kit, which gets you the critical parts, and gets you a plan for the basic bed. Then you only have to figure out how to make the sliding bookcases.

The creatabed kit is available from places like Woodcraft and Lee Valley, or direct from the manufacturer: http://www.wallbed.com/ . If you use this site's Search function, you'll find several threads about beds Creekers have built using this kit.

Jay Stellers
04-14-2009, 3:29 PM
Wow! That's a bed? I wouldn't have know if you didn't tell me. I suppose that's the point. So i take it the middle shelves slide to either side and then you fold down the bed? Or are the items on the shelves tacked on and the middle shelves fold down to become the base for the bed?

Jeff Cremers
04-14-2009, 3:48 PM
Jay
here is another link that will explain better than I can. But they slide off to the sides. That is why I like these they look really neat and only lose a little deapth on the center shelves.
Jeff

http://www.hardwoodartisans.com/new_page4.asp?Library%20Wall%20Beds

Charlie Plesums
04-14-2009, 4:18 PM
The problem with this particular murphy bed design is that you are sleeping in a hole (common to all murphy beds) but this hole is twice as deep as usual. Most of the murphy beds I make use the CreateABed hardware kit, and your headboard is about 15 inches into the cabinet/wall. (Suggest a pull-out shelf in the cabinets beside the bed to use as a nightstand). Some bed plans put your head 20 or more inches into the wall. If I remember right, this one is over 30 inches in.

Chris Padilla
04-14-2009, 4:36 PM
Don't like sleeping in caves, Charlie?! ;) haha

Paul Steiner
04-14-2009, 7:16 PM
I have been to their production facility and showroom many times. It is an amazing place. I have seen that bed up close, the hardware is custom made for them. But I think you could replicate something like it with a little thinking and planning.

richard poitras
04-14-2009, 10:00 PM
The problem with this particular murphy bed design is that you are sleeping in a hole (common to all murphy beds) but this hole is twice as deep as usual. Most of the murphy beds I make use the CreateABed hardware kit, and your headboard is about 15 inches into the cabinet/wall. (Suggest a pull-out shelf in the cabinets beside the bed to use as a nightstand). Some bed plans put your head 20 or more inches into the wall. If I remember right, this one is over 30 inches in.

Please don’t take this the wrong way but if you don’t like “sleeping in a hole” why don’t you just sleep at the other end of the bed?:)

Charlie Plesums
04-15-2009, 9:47 AM
Back in my consulting days (on the road all the time) I would occasionally get a murphy bed in a hotel room, all sorts of different designs, and none of them pleasant. I finally resolved to refuse a room that had a murphy bed, but retired before it happened again. Retirement consists of building custom furniture for folks.

One of the irritating things about hotel murphy beds is that the "cover" often tips down to the floor, and since it must be larger than the mattress it is hiding, you always stub your toes when approaching the bed. I won't make a murphy bed that isn't raised above the floor.

Another irritating thing is no place to put glasses, clock, book, etc. that you can see from within the bed. I strongly recommend a pull-out shelf in the cabinets next to the bed.

The beds are normally made-up in advance, and closed with everything on the mattress, whether in a hotel or at home. Therefore murphy beds have a headboard, and a support to keep the pillows from sliding into lala land. Reversing the way the bed is made-up would be difficult, since the pillows would not stay in place, and the pillow end is not tucked in.

Outstide of the nightstand problem, I don't have a problem with my "head in a cave" as Chris implied. However, I have raised the "head position" with my customers, and several of them have recalled in disgust the problem from previous experiences with murphy beds. I have built about 8-10 murphy beds for customers, and two of them came asking for the sliding bookcase version. When I mentioned what Chris called the "head in a cave" (I don't use bias words like that), both of them thanked me for pointing it out, and quickly changed their request.

As Paul suggested, I have not found the custom hardware used by the sliding bookcase version, but figured I could rig something if required.