PDA

View Full Version : homemade router table helps with turning blanks

jim carter
04-14-2009, 2:51 AM
i built this router table with spare parts i had laying around. i can perfectly square any unbalanced turning stock to get a balanced center. i made different jigs so i can do many things with it. i have a V block jig to turn a square stock into an octogon stock for simpler rounding. each corner of the table has an 18" allthread to raise and lower the table so i can do up to 14" thick stock. the track is on rollers and rolls 44" and the router fits in the track and can move the full length of the table so i have about a 40" x 40" router movement and can do multiple pieces at once. i can also turn a 10" diameter log into a 6x6 and then run it through my tablesaw and turn it into any size board i need.it works until i can afford a sawmill.

Dewey Torres
04-14-2009, 2:57 AM
Hey Jim,
This is great but please, a bit more info on how it works if you don't mind.
(maybe more pics)

jim carter
04-14-2009, 3:50 AM
here is a couple of more pictures. this can be made any size you want. the track is an old bed frame set apart so a router sits flat and slides back and forth. i found 4 bearing pullys that run on a pair of 1" solid steel bars that are set exactly parallel. i used a maple block to join the track to the pulley bearings. the pulley bearings should be adjustable so you can adjust them so they are tight against the steel bar with no play but roll from 1 side of the table smoothly. i used 4 - 1/2" x 18" allthread with a steal rod welded to 1 end to form a handle. i took 4 -1/2" nuts and welded them centered to 4 - 2" x 1/2" washers. then drilled 2- 3/16" holes in the washers, 1 on each side. i had a heavy duty 2x4 channel iron laying around so i used that to support the table but a 2x4 board would work, it would need a center support though.the table is built and blocked up to the bottom of the channel iron or 2x4 and centered and then a hole is drilled in each corner through the top and the table so they line up for the allthread.i added 2 nuts to the top of the allthread to keep the T handles up.run the allthread down through the top and through the table and thread the washer/nut onto it, nut down.get the table level by measureing frop top of 2x4 to top of table at all 4 corners. once that matches, the washer/nut is screwed to the bottom of the table. if you need more info, let me know

Richard Madison
04-14-2009, 9:16 AM
That's pretty cool Jim. Love home made tools, jigs, and fixtures. Rarely buy anything I can make.

Steve Schlumpf
04-14-2009, 9:20 AM
Interesting idea Jim! Anything you can do to help balance big turning blanks is a good thing!

Jerome Hanby
04-14-2009, 9:37 AM
I bet you could use skate bearings like that table saw slider FWW has in one of their old books.

Marc Martindale
04-14-2009, 9:13 PM
Jim, This is a cool idea, definately one to save for future reference!

Bernie Weishapl
04-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Cool idea and very interesting.

Mark P. Brown
04-15-2009, 12:16 AM
Jim,
Go to the blokey shed and chack out the wombat sawmill. It looks pretty cool. He sells the plans on line.
Mark