PDA

View Full Version : bowl picture

jim carter
04-14-2009, 1:44 AM
this is a ceanothis burl bowl about 9" wide and 6" deep. i used a mixture of lye and water on it after turning and it brought out the red in certain grains in the wood.

alex carey
04-14-2009, 1:47 AM
Jim it looks nice but you gotta get some better pictures to bring out the beauty in that. I guarantee it looks 10 times better in person compared to these pictures.

Dewey Torres
04-14-2009, 1:48 AM
Hey Jim...noob here,
Can you help with info on that lye process and what it does/when to use it please? I have never heard of it:o

jim carter
04-14-2009, 2:05 AM
if a wood has any red in it, seen or unseen[ ceanothis's red is unseen until the mixture is added] then adding lye and water to it will bring it to the surface. i pour about 1/2 cup lye to 1/2 gallon water, mix and wipe on with a well soaked rag. it will happen fast if it happens. i have only used it on ceanothis and manzanita. manzanita already has plenty of red so it turns the white or pink areas darker and removing the contrast i like. it doesnt work on woods with no red in it like maple or blackwalnut etc.. try it on a small piece and see what happens.

Dewey Torres
04-14-2009, 2:18 AM
Ok so when you say it happens fast is that a few seconds or a few days?

Jarrod McGehee
04-14-2009, 2:39 AM
nice bowl.

jim carter
04-14-2009, 2:55 AM
a few seconds.

Dewey Torres
04-14-2009, 3:01 AM
Ok Jim thanks...so stand there and watch is what you mean? Got it.

Also love the router system you posted but not sure exactly how it works as you described.

You have some great ideas for sure!

charlie knighton
04-14-2009, 5:05 AM
have you tried the lye on cherry??

Toney Robertson
04-14-2009, 6:33 AM
Not to hijack the thread but...

Dewey - The reaction happens in a very few seconds. I used it on mahogany and it reminded me of that kid's toy that changes color when you wipe on regular water. It is very cool to see it happen. I used some vinegar to neutralize the lye.

Charlie - I tried it on some cherry but I did NOT like the outcome. Mine turned very blotchy. I have read that others have used it with success so YMMV. I have had GREAT results with mahogany.

Toney

Steve Schlumpf
04-14-2009, 8:57 AM
Jim - that is an interesting effect and seems to work quite well! Sure is one wild looking bowl! Lots of character!

jim carter
04-14-2009, 11:35 AM
when i turn bowls or vases, i let the wood dictate the finished product. i dont come up with a shape or size until i get deep into the wood and then let it come to me. i have a small piece of ceanothis left that i will sand down and wet it to bring out the color and take a picture then put the lye on it and take another picture so you can see the difference.

Rick Prosser
04-14-2009, 12:31 PM
I am also wondering if the color will stay - or fade over time like other wood colors. (Red in box elder, purple heart)