PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Clicking Sound ???

Billy Tallant
04-13-2009, 11:52 PM
I've got a Jet 1014 that has a sound that I'm beginning to wonder about. Not really hearing the sound when the lathe is running. But when the lathe is turned off, I can rotate the spindle & hear a clicking sound. I hear one click every 360 degrees of rotation. I'm wondering if this is a bearing going out? If so, is there any problems replacing the bearings if this is the case? Any and all comments welcome.

alex carey
04-14-2009, 12:07 AM
someone else will give a better answer but from the limited knowledge I have, that can definitely mean a wearing bearing. It means there is one high point which is just the beginning. But are you sure it's coming from the bearing and not someone where else, like the motor?

Don Carter
04-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Billy:
I am not familiar with your lathe, but can you loosen you belt and then turn the spindle to see if the belt is the problem?

Stephen Massman
04-14-2009, 7:20 AM
I had a similar problem but it was a loose set screw of the headstock pulley.

As soon as I tightened the screw the clicking went away.

Greg Haugen
04-14-2009, 7:39 AM
I agree with Stephen. I'd check the set screws. At one time I had a Jet mini and the clicking sound was indeed a loose set screw.

Steve Schlumpf
04-14-2009, 7:48 AM
Another vote for a loose set screw. Be sure to let everyone know what you find out!