PDA

View Full Version : finish and anacronim question

Bud Duffy
03-19-2003, 12:18 AM
what is this witches brew i see mentioned every now and again? And second whats SWMBO mean .

Dennis Peacock
03-19-2003, 2:32 AM
The only brew I am aware of is:

1/3 Mineral spirits
1/3 Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO)
1/3 Oil based Poly or Oil Based Varnish

SWMBO stands for She Who Must Be Obeyed
LOML = Love Of My Life

Bud Duffy
03-19-2003, 10:06 AM
Thank you Dennis . One more question how do you work the brew ie how many coats and do you rub it out between and does it need to be waxed after. again thank you

Ted Shrader
03-19-2003, 10:39 AM
Bud -

I use about the same proportions as Dennis for the first two coats (maybe a little more varnish and a little less BLO). Flow on liberally (not a political term) let stand until tacky and wipe off in a circular motion finishing in long strokes with the grain.

For remaining coats if a built up finish is desired, use about 10% BLO, 50% varnish, and 40% thinner. Wipe on with a soft cloth drawn into a ball. Wipe in small circular motions, then blend with the grain. Lightly scuff w/ 3M Scotchbrite<sup>®</sup> pad between coats.

Thinner - I sometimes use VM&P Naptha. Flashes off faster. Depends on the temperature and humidity. YMMV

Suggestion - Make up a small batch. Then make some variations in the ingredients. You will find a mix that suits you.

Regards,
Ted