PDA

View Full Version : TS Gloat (sorta)

Larry Fox
04-13-2009, 9:31 PM
I have spent the last few weeks redoing this TS that I have "acquired" from my brother. It is a Rockwell Invicta RT-30 and he bought it from a guy a couple of years ago intending to setup a shop but never did. I was over his place a few weeks ago and saw it rusting in the corner and convinced him to let me bring it back to life and use it until he needs it at which point I will return it. It is a 12" saw and was in ok shape. Kicker is that it did not have a motor and Delta was quoting me something like $800+ for one IF they could even get it. I had a spare 3-hp motor in the shop that I had adapted to fit it. Fair number of trips back and forth to the machine shop for sure. I had to havethe arbor worked on as the shart was too short for the sheaves I put on it (I didn't have the originals). I got it all back together last week and turned it on and discovered that the motor was running backwards (my uni which the motor fits is left tilt and this is right tilt). Couple of trips to the motor shop and that was solved. It was all 3-phase wiring so I had to gut and redo all that. In the end, it purrs like a big thick cast-iron kitten. My plansfor it are the use it as a dedicated cross-cut saw for now and make some nifty sleds for it.

Anyway - it is mostly done and ready to cut wood again. Last remainig items are to make some zci's for it and hook up the dust collection.

Bill Huber
04-13-2009, 9:49 PM
Nice looking saw, and with a nice big sled you could do a lot of cross cutting with it.

What size cut can you make with a 12 inch blade?

Charles Shenk
04-14-2009, 2:02 AM
Nice looking saw, and with a nice big sled you could do a lot of cross cutting with it.

What size cut can you make with a 12 inch blade?

You can crosscut 16/4 stock with a 12"

Dewey Torres
04-14-2009, 2:23 AM
and convinced him to let me bring it back to life and use it until he needs it at which point I will return it.

In the mean time I would be thinking of a deal that would allow you to keep it vs just give it back. The thing was a wreck when you got it and now you have a lot more in this saw than he did potentially.

Help him out with some proposals that will help him keep the saw Creekers!

Dewey Torres
04-14-2009, 2:25 AM
Also I would mount a kick switch to it so you don't have to reach under to shut it off. I have plans and pics if you need but it is very simple to do.

Larry Fox
04-14-2009, 7:35 AM
Also I would mount a kick switch to it so you don't have to reach under to shut it off. I have plans and pics if you need but it is very simple to do.

Thanks Dewey - that was on my to-do list as well because I agree that the stop switch is a little out of the way and not something I want to be fumbling around to get to if I need to. the one on my uni is right at my left leg and I can hit it easily.

Phil Thien
04-14-2009, 9:06 AM
Nice job!

Hey, is that the phone I hear ringing? Yep, your brother is ready to setup his shop and needs the saw back. :o

I guess the brotherly thing to do is to let him know that it works for crap, he'd be better-off w/ a Bosch 4000. :p