PDA

View Full Version : Senco for sale??

Dave Lehnert
04-13-2009, 8:48 PM
Word has it around town that Senco has sold. Anyone know if it is true and who may have purchased them?

Larry Edgerton
04-13-2009, 8:55 PM
Word has it around town that Senco has sold. Anyone know if it is true and who may have purchased them?

It does not come as a surprise to me at all. Senco started going to the dogs when they started building to price points so they could sell at the Borg. The last few tools that Senco came out with are junk. I have bought up enough of the ones I like [SFN1, SLP20] so that I am good for the rest of my life.

Just another company that the Borg screwed up.......

Clint Winterhalter
04-13-2009, 11:31 PM
No NOT Gordon Food Service (I did joke with them about it!)
I was at Senco's new corporate office a couple of weeks ago. They renamed the company. Global Fastening Solutions. They have Senco, Tyrex, Nexixor and Agrifast all under the GFS banner. I think it was a rebranding effort, didn't involve a sale if I remember correctly.

CW.

Dave Lehnert
04-13-2009, 11:43 PM
No NOT Gordon Food Service (I did joke with them about it!)
I was at Senco's new corporate office a couple of weeks ago. They renamed the company. Global Fastening Solutions. They have Senco, Tyrex, Nexixor and Agrifast all under the GFS banner. I think it was a rebranding effort, didn't involve a sale if I remember correctly.

CW.

No! Thats not it. Employees say something is up. The plant is basically shut down. The cleaning crew just got the pink slip.

Mike Henderson
04-14-2009, 12:46 AM
If you were selling the company, you wouldn't fire the cleaning crew. Selling implies you're going to keep things going, but under new management.

Mike

Clint Winterhalter
04-16-2009, 12:43 AM
No! Thats not it. Employees say something is up. The plant is basically shut down. The cleaning crew just got the pink slip.

I can't speak to the health of the company..
Looking at the building they put up I'd say they are doing ok.
Check out the link below. Sounds like they have consolidated and move somethings off shore..

Here a link about the move / new name:http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2008/06/02/daily12.html

Rick Fisher
04-16-2009, 2:26 AM
The article pretty much says they are shutting down production and going to Asia...

Sigh..

Larry Edgerton
04-16-2009, 8:21 AM
This is what happens to companys that get involved with the box stores. I started buying Senco products in the 70's from building supply houses, and they were expensive compared to Paslode and others, but they had good balance, never broke, the fasteners were worlds better, and so I did not mind spending money on a tool that allowed me to do my job a little better than the next guy.

Then they started the compromises so they could get a peice of the freak'in homeowner market. The homeowner market created by the Borg has done more to ruin good tools and drive down the perception of quality workmanship than I would have believed possible. Porter Cable is another example, Dewalt pulling them down to their level instead of bringing their machines up to the Porter Cable standard, just so they can sell the stuff to homeowners at the Borg.

Then ultimately, companys that try to play the game are subjected to the WalMart syndrome, their quality goes down hill until their traditional base is gone, and they either go belly up or move off shore and import dumpster fodder, making general tool quality go to the dogs, and good American companys, with their associated jobs disappear.

So go ahead, keep buying your junk at the Borg......

Ray Dockrey
04-16-2009, 9:01 AM
This is what happens to companys that get involved with the box stores. I started buying Senco products in the 70's from building supply houses, and they were expensive compared to Paslode and others, but they had good balance, never broke, the fasteners were worlds better, and so I did not mind spending money on a tool that allowed me to do my job a little better than the next guy.

Then they started the compromises so they could get a peice of the freak'in homeowner market. The homeowner market created by the Borg has done more to ruin good tools and drive down the perception of quality workmanship than I would have believed possible. Porter Cable is another example, Dewalt pulling them down to their level instead of bringing their machines up to the Porter Cable standard, just so they can sell the stuff to homeowners at the Borg.

Then ultimately, companys that try to play the game are subjected to the WalMart syndrome, their quality goes down hill until their traditional base is gone, and they either go belly up or move off shore and import dumpster fodder, making general tool quality go to the dogs, and good American companys, with their associated jobs disappear.

So go ahead, keep buying your junk at the Borg......Actually it wasn't Dewalt that brought Porter Cable down it was Black and Decker since Black and Decker already owned Dewalt when they bought the Pentair Group which included Porter Cable.

Chris Kennedy
04-16-2009, 9:51 PM

So go ahead, keep buying your junk at the Borg......

I'm sorry, but this doesn't follow. Senco made a good product, which was more expensive, but worth the money. Then Senco made the decision to get into the "freakin' homeowner market" to make money, which of course, is what a profit-driven company does. If the traditional base is being seduced by the box stores with inferior products, then the traditional base is fickle, to say the least.

If Senco had a good product that could be supported without the homeowner's market and it made the company viable, the BORGs opening a new market and Senco deciding to aim for that market is Senco's decision, and has little to do with the BORG.

And if people are buying junk at the BORG, it is Senco's decision to tap into that market.

Honestly, this is a bit of it takes two to tango . . . .

Cheers,

Chris

Dave Lehnert
05-09-2009, 5:17 PM
UPDATE.

Senco filed for bankruptcy on Friday. They are reorganizing and the employees are now working overtime.

Mike Henderson
05-09-2009, 6:41 PM
Here's (http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090508/BIZ01/905090356/Sencorp+sold+out+of+bankruptcy) a news story on it. Looks like the downturn in home construction killed their market for nail guns.

Mike