PDA

View Full Version : Lowe's Pine Chest

Eric Danculovich
04-13-2009, 7:24 PM
This is a box I am in the process of finishing for an Art fair this may. One of the main reasons of doing it with pine is to work on a finish that I like. Pine is one hard thing to finish right. So far the box has one coat of 1lb cut clear shellac and the lid has one coat of clear and one coat of amber 1lb cut shellac. I am liking the amber tint so far. More as I go along later unless I screw up in a large way and hide.

Jarrod McGehee
04-14-2009, 3:30 AM
That looks nice. I'm not much a fan of pine but I like this

John Keeton
04-14-2009, 6:14 AM
Eric, I notice that this is your first post. Welcome to the creek!

Nice job on the box. Pine was pretty common on this type of box, and this one is turning out to be a nice project. Personally, I like the amber look, and even perhaps a little darker. So, maybe go with several coats of the amber?

Also noticed the foam brush. Is that what you are using for the shellac? How is that working?

Joe Cunningham
04-14-2009, 9:16 AM
Looking great, I like working with pine. I've used garnet shellac (from flakes) with good results on it. I would do some good sized test panels first though.

I often will put a garnet shellac base under milk paint and gently distress the edges with steel wool when I oil the paint. Ends up looking nice and "old-timey". :)

Prashun Patel
04-14-2009, 9:41 AM
This is a box I am in the process of finishing for an Art fair this may. One of the main reasons of doing it with pine is to work on a finish that I like. Pine is one hard thing to finish right. So far the box has one coat of 1lb cut clear shellac and the lid has one coat of clear and one coat of amber 1lb cut shellac. I am liking the amber tint so far. More as I go along later unless I screw up in a large way and hide.

Very nice joints. Any kind of wood has its own beauty. I like that yr not trying to gel stain or paint it to hide the grain or knots.

Shellac is also a good choice for interior surfaces that'll be closed, since it won't keep emitting odor like an oil based varnish might...

And kudos to you if you're making the foam brush work for you on large flat surfaces with shellac. You're a better man than I!

Eric Danculovich
04-14-2009, 9:59 AM
The foam works for about one side then starts to fall apart. For the next coats I am going to a better brush but first coats I sand alot so it doesn't cause a problem. I have done these boxes in maple, myrtle wood, and cherry so I know I like the design. I change to bun feet on some to get a different look at times.

Jim Kountz
04-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Eric, its looking great!! I also vote for the amber color, brings out more in the pine IMO. Nice job on the dovetails all around!!

John Thompson
04-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Even though I don't use pine much anymore.. I love it as growing up in the south it was readily available. About all I used from 1972 - 1978 before I began using hard-woods. Lots of country style furniture was present a while back made from pine.

Nice job...

Sarge..

John Olson
04-14-2009, 11:53 PM
I like the amber also. We have a lot of old pine furnture around here. Long Island had this country's first cattle ranch. So some things are as old as the country. Old pine has a very golden look to it.