PDA

View Full Version : Note to self: Get more clamps

Ken Higginbotham
04-13-2009, 5:14 PM
Had to go to the barn get a couple of my metal working clamps to glue this rickety old end table back up. This time I added the corner braces:

keith ouellette
04-13-2009, 7:34 PM
I've had to do that plenty of times. When I bought clamps I bought 8 48" clamps thinking I could also use them for small glue ups also. It didn't quite work out that way and my small collection of c clamps I use for welding have had to come out more than a few times.

Leo Graywacz
04-13-2009, 7:53 PM
I have about 30 pipe clamps, 4 - 6", 22 - 12", 4 -18", 20 - 24" squeeze clamps, 6 "C" clamps and 2 jorgenson clamps. Still not enough. You will never, ever have enough clamps.

Peter Quinn
04-13-2009, 8:04 PM
LOL. I have yet to be in a situation where I though "I have too many damned clamps hanging around, I have to get rid of some of these". I remember trying to glue up a 5"X12" finger joint box I made for a hand plane using the only clamps I had, 60" pipe clamps! Ever try to get 6 60" clamps on a box that small? Every time I buy more my wife asks "Don't you already have som clamps?":rolleyes:

Frank Drew
04-14-2009, 9:40 AM
It's almost axiomatic that you never have enough clamps; I've had times when virtually every clamp in the shop was in use, and we're talking about a LOT of clamps.

Karl Brogger
04-14-2009, 12:13 PM
It's almost axiomatic that you never have enough clamps; I've had times when virtually every clamp in the shop was in use, and we're talking about a LOT of clamps.

:D Been there, done that. You NEVER have enough clamps. I only really use two types, the Pony pipe clamps (I've got about 40 ranging from 30"-96"), and Jorgensons. Every time I have to glue up something major, I always curse myself for not doubling the amount I currently have.

Lee Schierer
04-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Murphy's law states that you'll always need one more clamp than what you own. A corollary is that you can never own too many clamps.

Rick Fisher
04-15-2009, 1:53 AM
I used a bunch of old steel sliding clamps for a long time, with the wooden screw handle.. the type Shop Fox sells cheap..

Then I bought some bessey K-bodies .. upgraded to a dozen of them, and stashed the old screw handles .. never to be used again..

I still use the old ones when I run out..

A dozen K-bodies isnt really that much, but it seemed like too many at the time.

George Sanders
04-15-2009, 6:28 AM
Although I have a good selection and large quantity of clamps; I always seem to need more than I have at the time of assembly.

Bob Genovesi
04-15-2009, 7:46 AM
Several years ago I made the mistake, I thought, of asking everyone to get me a few clamps. I have to say at the time I thought they went overboard but as I began to use them I can say I have just enough now...... Maybe..:D

More is always better!!

Ken Higginbotham
04-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Not that I have much experience in 'Woodworking' per se but these are fast becoming my 'new' favorite clamps:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PUuGmvq8L.gif

Steve Rozmiarek
04-15-2009, 4:15 PM
Clamps are goofy. There are 68 on my rack, sorry for the cell phone photo, but I ran out on the last project. I think that the more that you get, the more you use. I built quite a few projects with four old Jorgys, back when all I had was four old Jorgys.

C-clamps always seem to come up missing first in my shop as well. I can go steal them from the welding shop, but more would be nice. Anybody tried those Bessey quick adjusting ones yet?http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31X9N9AN5RL._SL160_AA160_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-6-Inch-Super-Quick-Sliding/dp/B0006694B4/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1239826436&sr=1-35)