PDA

View Full Version : Outfeed gizmo

Ken Higginbotham
04-13-2009, 5:05 PM
Here's a rig I set up to rip a pc of pegboard (Don't laugh, it worked pretty good :) ):

Chris Tsutsui
04-13-2009, 5:16 PM
That's pretty good. I wouldn't even attempt to cut pegboard on a table saw and my choice would be to use a circular saw and straight edge. (Or have the BORG cut it for me with their vertical panel saw)

FYI - I tried two types of stand rollers and didn't like them and I ended up being happy with the rigid outfeed flip top support. I use a shim to level the 4 feet since my garage floor isn't exactly level. heh

Ken Higginbotham
04-13-2009, 5:23 PM
Yeah, I have one of those roller outfeeds and they aren't all they are cracked up to be. Wouldn't have worked for what I was doing....

Based on what I had rigged I think I'll design a clamp on out-feed rig that I can store out of the way...

Greg Crawford
04-13-2009, 5:46 PM
I have a good outfeed table, but no infeed setup. I'm going to keep yours in minds, since I have extra wood, a chair and clamps. Love it!

Ken Higginbotham
04-13-2009, 5:58 PM
Maybe when I get my dedicated shop (years from now :( ) with more room I can build a good outfeed table.

Bruce Page
04-13-2009, 6:41 PM
Nobody said it has to be pretty, it just has to work.

I've cut peg board length wise before and it's not the easiest cut to make.

Rod Sheridan
04-14-2009, 8:17 AM
Ken, that's what happens when you leave your garage door open, someone steals your blade guard and splitter:eek:

Actually that looked like a great solution for cutting flexible sheet goods, thanks for the idea.

Regards, Rod.

Ken Higginbotham
04-14-2009, 9:32 AM
Ken, that's what happens when you leave your garage door open, someone steals your blade guard and splitter:eek:

Actually that looked like a great solution for cutting flexible sheet goods, thanks for the idea.

Regards, Rod.

Confession Time: I have never even tried putting the guard/splitter on the saw :eek:

harry strasil
04-14-2009, 9:45 AM
FWIW, unless a roller is precisely lined up, it will always roll the work piece to one side or the other, that's why a stationary outfeed support works so well, I use a piece of PVC sewer pipe on the top of mine so it will slide easier, and its adjustable so I can use it on the table saw, lunchbox planer and jointer.

The third picture shows the dedicated infeed and adjustable height outfeed supports for the table saw

harry strasil
04-14-2009, 9:56 AM
And I found an easy way to Joint long heavy boards or rough sawn tapered planks, using an 8.5 ft long 1/4 by 3 piece of extruded aluminum for a straight edge, a router and a pattern bit.

The first cut is with the straight edge as a guide and the second cut uses the first cut as a guide.

Prashun Patel
04-14-2009, 9:58 AM
Here's a rig I set up to rip a pc of pegboard (Don't laugh, it worked pretty good :) ):

Ken, It's great. I do think, though, that this operation is deceptively dangerous. This is precisely the kind of thing that gets kicked back by virtue of its size and flimsiness.

Personally, I think it's best done with a circ saw and guide, or at least good in and side support and a helper, and CRITICALLY, a splitter. It'd be worth it to make a thin-sheetgood-ripping blade insert with a permanent splitter glued into the kerf and preferably extending back as far as possible to help keep your cut true and straight....

I'm no expert, but have had a large pieces screech and threaten kickback. It's enough to make you wet yr pants....

Ken Higginbotham
04-14-2009, 10:08 AM
I may get the splitter out and start using it - :)

Prashun Patel
04-14-2009, 11:13 AM
I may get the splitter out and start using it - :)

Personally, I hate my stock guard. It never aligns right with my blade and ends up causing more binding and burning. It feels even MORE dangerous sometimes. Also, I can't use it on non-thru cuts or narrow cuts with a push stick.

So I - like many others - made a splitter out of a sawed off gate hinge. It mounts in the same slot as the stock splitter and is always in place.

Don't mean to be pedantic; I'm sure you know yr stuff probably better than I do, but when it comes to safety, I don't mind being preachy.

Ken Higginbotham
04-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Personally, I hate my stock guard. It never aligns right with my blade and ends up causing more binding and burning. It feels even MORE dangerous sometimes. Also, I can't use it on non-thru cuts or narrow cuts with a push stick.

So I - like many others - made a splitter out of a sawed off gate hinge. It mounts in the same slot as the stock splitter and is always in place.

Don't mean to be pedantic; I'm sure you know yr stuff probably better than I do, but when it comes to safety, I don't mind being preachy.

I'm pretty respectful of a moving saw blade - I was just thinking back where it may have helped prevent saw marks on the work pc...