PDA

View Full Version : Bargain opportunity and Makita gloat

James Carmichael
07-30-2004, 3:26 PM
I just picked up a Makita RF1101 Router Kit at Lowes for $132. I'd been fighting the urge since they came down to $176, at this price, it was totally irresistible. This is a 2 1/4 HP variable speed kit with fixed and plunge bases.

Now, I should spread out these gloats into additional posts, but I'll save you the clicks:

In addition to the NIB Makita kit, also picked up their demo unit for $75. This was less than 2 hours after stumbling across a "new" grey Ridgid jointer on Ebay, located just down the road from me, for $225.

Now I'll probably get struck by lightening picking up the jointer tonight, but if not, maybe I should buy a lottery ticket (we may need the cash to pay for groceries!).

Donnie Raines
07-30-2004, 3:35 PM
I go that same deal at my local Lowes!...thats a pretty sweet kit. I can add that to my router collections....that now stands at 4. :cool:

Greg Heppeard
07-30-2004, 6:26 PM
Hmmmm, wonder what's up with Makita?? The reps stopped into my store last week and want me to pick up their line of tools. They said that the big box's weren't carrying much of their stuff anymore.

Michael Ballent
07-30-2004, 7:16 PM
Maybe the big box stores are getting a better deal from Black&DeckerDeWaltDeltaPorterCable. I walked in the Lowes near my house and there was a ton of tools from the orange/yellow/gray bunch tablesaws, jointers, bandsaws, "bench top" planers etc...

Greg Heppeard
07-30-2004, 9:36 PM
hmmmmmm do the initials BDDWDPC mean anything???? lmao

Kelly C. Hanna
07-30-2004, 10:24 PM
You will more of this in time. Both stores are having to cater to the homeowner and they are a hard sell when it comes to pro tools and their prices. I predict a time when the big names aren't there at all.

That's OK with me since I rarely buy any tools at the Borgs anymore.

Michael Ballent
07-31-2004, 3:39 AM
hmmmmmm do the initials BDDWDPC mean anything???? lmao
Using the short hand version is certainly much better :D I'm sure that there will be a newbie in 1-2 years that will read posts with BDDWDPC in them and really scratch their heads ;) Perhaps we should add it to the list of acronyms that is being compiled... :D

Roger Barga
08-01-2004, 3:10 AM
Hi James, thanks for the heads-up on the Makita sale at Lowes. I picked up the last one at my local store and it is great deal on a fine router. No doubt I would have missed out on (another) great sale if it weren't for your post.

Cheers,
Roger

James Carmichael
08-02-2004, 4:31 PM
Maybe the big box stores are getting a better deal from Black&DeckerDeWaltDeltaPorterCable. I walked in the Lowes near my house and there was a ton of tools from the orange/yellow/gray bunch tablesaws, jointers, bandsaws, "bench top" planers etc...

Shame, Makita may become my brand of choice now that B&D got their mits on Delta/PC. I would not predict a bright future for the grey tools under B&D.

I think Kelly has a point, also, the big box stores may be scaling back on WW tools that don't have as much appeal to the DIY/HO market, and may explain BORGs price cut on their big-ticket Ridgid tools. If that were true, though, I find it strange that they both keep adding more table saw models. I counted no less than 6 RR (Ryobi/Ridgid) at the BORG and 7 BDDWDPC models at Lowes, including that cheesy-looking red B&D Firestorm TS. Whose gonna buy that thing?

Roger,

Glad you got yours while the gettin was good.

Chad Young
08-02-2004, 4:47 PM
I see a trip to Lowes is in order this afternoon.

Michael Ballent
08-02-2004, 5:37 PM
You know I have noticed that as new Rigid versions of tools come up HD starts closing out the competitive version of the tool. They did it with the Milwaukee drills, and jigsaw I assume it will happen with the PC routers once Rigid comes up with something. Heck I am even seeing red tags creeping up on the DeWALT CMS... It appears that at that rate all they are going to carry will be Rigid for the pros and Ryobi for the rest of the crowd.

The thing that stuck me as odd was that at another HD they are carrying Hilti tools struck me as odd since HD does not seem to be interested in the upper end of the tool market. I do know that this particular HD location does cater more to the local pros though.

Kelly C. Hanna
08-02-2004, 7:33 PM
I think HD and OWT thought Ridgid would take off with the pros and since they have not, the prices are falling fast. They might be sad they closed out all the good tools someday.

Dave Avery
08-03-2004, 9:53 PM
Michael,

Super deal on a great router. You're going to love it.

Don't write off PC yet. B&D would be foolish to purchase the PC brand only to move it downscale. The reason they want it is to fill out their product line. Has Powermatic quality suffered since Jet bought the brand? Dave.

James Carmichael
08-04-2004, 11:48 AM
Michael,

Super deal on a great router. You're going to love it.

Don't write off PC yet. B&D would be foolish to purchase the PC brand only to move it downscale. The reason they want it is to fill out their product line. Has Powermatic quality suffered since Jet bought the brand? Dave.

Dave,

I've tried it once and already love it, enough so that my PC7529 may go on the block. It plunges so much more easily than the PC, the latter's springs are so stiff it almost jumps out of my hands when I release the plunge lock.