PDA

View Full Version : Question about nailing chair rail molding that isn’t wood

Louis Brandt
04-13-2009, 3:06 PM
Hello,

I’ve already decided what compressor and nailer combo to buy, and for my first project with it, I’m getting ready to pick out and install chair rail molding over sheetrock and into studs.

My local Home Depot carries some very nice looking and pre-primed chair rail molding that I’m considering, but I’m not sure that it’s wood. It may be a fiber material.

Question, if I use a compressor and finish nailer to install this and it turns out to be fiber material, will it hold? I’d prefer using this, since I intend to paint it, and I wouldn’t have to prime it as I would with pine, etc.

Thanks,
Louis

Bob Lloyd
04-13-2009, 4:22 PM
Louis

Most of these products that are similar in density to wood can be cut, nailed and finished just like the wood products. However, I know that some manufacturers recommend using noncorrosive fasteners along with adhesive when fixing them, some manufacturers recommend just using adhesive.

Brian Peters
04-13-2009, 4:39 PM
It should hold fine. MDF doesn't necessarily hold screws or nails WELL but it will hold them. Use a construction adhesive like PL and finish nails to hold it in place as well and it shouldn't ever come off the wall.

Bob Lloyd
04-13-2009, 6:15 PM
Louis

I misread your post. When you said that you were not sure it was wood, in my original reply I was thinking of the PVC or urethane type products . If it is MDF as Brian mentioned,then nailing through it into the studs should be OK.

Peter Quinn
04-13-2009, 7:44 PM
Either MDF or polyurathane extrusions can be nailed without a problem. In fact it is very difficult to hand nail MDF as the head of a wire nail tends to bugle when set, but pneumatic nails work just fine. Never had a problem with corrosion in either product. A bit of PL adhesive can help child proof it if that is an issue, otherwise I'd nail it just like wood. If you use MDF sheet goods like bead board then you need to use an adhesive, but for moldings it would be optional.