PDA

View Full Version : Drum sander accuracy

Mike Golka
04-13-2009, 2:30 PM
I'm looking at purchasing a drum sander. Leaning towards the Delta 31-260X but was wondering if the open end machines have any deflection problems. I will be using it for thicknessing stock for segmented turnings were dimension accuracy is critical (within a couple thou.) Anyone using this style machine or any other please share your opinion.

Chris Padilla
04-13-2009, 2:38 PM
I have its older cousin (31-250). The height-adjustment mechanism on mine is a joke. However, as long as you don't have to adjust it A LOT, it works very, very well.

I picked mine up used and have been sanding down ~3/32" shop-resawn veneers to 1/16" dead nuts on. Since the height is screw-adjustable, one can dial it in pretty tight by sanding and using calipers to check the thickness.

Be sure to check to see if Delta improved the height-adjustment on this drum sander. With my set-up and very little height-adjustment, I have been extremely happy with this sander.

Cary Falk
04-13-2009, 2:39 PM
I have the Grizzly G0458 18/36. I like the style better then the Jets. I have never seen any vibration during sanding. I saw a Jet 16-32 at a woodworking show and the head was bouncing all over the place. I assume they were taking off too much wood and feeding it too fast. I know the style of the Delta and the Grizzly get a bad rep due to the dificulity of setting the platen. I have never had a problem. The Jet seems to be the norm. I would buy mine again in a heartbeat over the Jet anyday.

Byron Trantham
04-13-2009, 5:23 PM
I have the Grizzly G0458 18/36. I like the style better then the Jets. I have never seen any vibration during sanding. I saw a Jet 16-32 at a woodworking show and the head was bouncing all over the place. I assume they were taking off too much wood and feeding it too fast. I know the style of the Delta and the Grizzly get a bad rep due to the dificulity of setting the platen. I have never had a problem. The Jet seems to be the norm. I would buy mine again in a heartbeat over the Jet anyday.

+1 I have the same sander and after getting the belt to track straight I have had great sucess with it. I would buy it again. ;)

keith ouellette
04-13-2009, 5:55 PM

I have the jet 16/32 I bought used. I have not had one single incidence of vibration. It runs very smooth and sands great. I have also not had a single problem with the motorized feed belt going off track.

As far as accuracy of the head across the entire length...

I do not see any deflection but I doubt I could see .003 of an inch in deflection. I have not tried to adjust it to very close tolerances in the 3 to 6 thousandths range But I think it would be a little difficult if possible at all. I never thought of sanding to that tolerance before.

I'm probably going to have to play with it a little and see how close I can get it now that its on my mind.

Thanks a lot.