PDA

View Full Version : Source for 1/16" drawer bottom....

Chris Harry
04-13-2009, 2:19 PM
Had to make a repair to one of the drawers of our nightstands. The drawer bottom is only 1/16" thick so naturally it cracked when I tried to remove the staples to get it out of the drawer.

HD didnt have anything that thin. Anyone know a source of something that thin? Best I could find was 1/8" hardboard, but Im not sure the slot in the drawer front and sides is large enough (I measured the thickness of the existing door bottom, not the slot)

Thanks.

-Chris

Frank Drew
04-13-2009, 2:23 PM
Chris,

I've used veneer thicker than that.

I think your best bet would be to either remake the drawer, with grooves for a thicker bottom, or find a way to fit a thicker bottom in to that drawer -- enlarge the grooves, or rabbet a new, thicker panel so that it fits in the existing grooves).

Chris Harry
04-13-2009, 2:26 PM
Chris,

I've used veneer thicker than that.

I think your best bet would be to either remake the drawer, with grooves for a thicker bottom, or find a way to fit a thicker bottom in to that drawer -- enlarge the grooves, or rabbet a new, thicker panel so that it fits in the existing grooves).

Yeah thats what I was afraid of. I put the drawer back together, which was probably dumb (shoulda just sent it thru the table saw with a full kerf blade to get at least 1/8" out of the groove). I *think* the groove is large enough for the 1/8" material, or its really really close. Ill check it tonight.

Michael McCoy
04-13-2009, 2:27 PM
I think I would go with making the slot bigger. This is a case where I really enjoy the box slotting bits from Lee Valley.

Dell Littlefield
04-13-2009, 2:59 PM
Isn't a luan door skin about 1/16? I bought one in Lowes a couple of years ago and I think that was about the thickness.

Julian Nicks
04-13-2009, 3:02 PM
You can get 1/16 aircraft grade plywood. Here's a link to the place I get mine.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/wppages/finnishbirch.php

Richard M. Wolfe
04-13-2009, 3:10 PM
The suggestion of getting a door skin sounds good. Those things are tough.....and pretty cheap, compared to other materials. Even if it's a little thick you could sand the edges on the bottom where it woudn't show.

Raymond Gerdes
04-13-2009, 3:15 PM
When I need thin plywood I ususally use doorskin. Not to expensive and often surplus stores have it. Ck w/local Habitat for Humanity store

Ray Gerdes in beautiful Texas

Robert LaPlaca
04-13-2009, 4:09 PM
Might want to consider using thicker plywood and rabbit the edge where it fits into the dado in the drawer to 1/16" thickness..

Tom Veatch
04-13-2009, 4:31 PM
...HD didnt have anything that thin. Anyone know a source of something that thin? ,,,

Last time I needed anything that thin was for drawer bottoms in a small jewelery case. Got it at a local model airplane hobby shop.

Lee Schierer
04-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Many craft stores sell thin plywoods. I'm not sure they would have a piece big enough for a night stand drawer.

george wilson
04-14-2009, 1:16 PM
I think Woodcraft sells aircraft plywood.But,that is way too thin.If possible,make the grooves thicker,or at least get some thicker stuff,and taper down the edges to go into the slots.

john bateman
04-14-2009, 1:32 PM
Rabbet the edges of some thicker, sturdier, plywood, until they fit the slots in the drawer.

Chris Harry
04-14-2009, 4:31 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

In the end, I was wandering around Lowes and found what I needed: they sell it with their unfinished kitchen cabinets.......its called "end panel" for the cabinets (and oh my, would I never want to use 1/16" wood as an "end panel" in my kitchen).

Worked for what I needed and wasnt *too* expensive.