PDA

View Full Version : UPS problems (Grizzly order)

John M Bailey
04-13-2009, 1:42 PM
UPS shipping #: 1Z 259 635 03 0429 086 8

I placed an order with Grizzly and UPS has really frustrated me. On 4/08 this package was missed placed on its way to my house. The driver said it was on the wrong truck, no problem, get it tomorrow, right? WRONG. I called UPS to make sure this would be delivered the next day, they would not tell me anything. I asked for the number of the local UPS center, they would not tell me the number! I explained that I wanted to tell the local dist center that I would pick the package up if they would just hold it, because I didn't want it being returned to Grizzly. They refused! Then, they shipped it back to Pennsylvania! AAAARRRRRGGGGGG!!!!
I have been in contact with Grizzly, but UPS is just jerking their chain. After I saw that it had been delivered back to Grizzly, I called Grizzly and learned that UPS had told Grizzly that this package would be resceduled for delivery to me, but UPS sent it to Grizzly. I am getting tired of UPS's refusal to help. They cannot DO anything, they can only INVESTIGATE to see what happened.

Greg Crawford
04-13-2009, 2:20 PM
Something like that happened to me with Fed Ex. I sent a letter to corporate, and they sent me a gift card for something like $20.

Personally, I still have the best success with UPS. I think it depends on where you are.

Ben Cadotte
04-13-2009, 2:37 PM
The problem is there is not true competition for package delivery. Yes there are 3 main companies (soon to be 2, DHL / Airborne on way out). But they are so entrenched that there is no real competition. So, they have no need to have great customer service.

I have had problems with both of them. One time I had a next day air package comming UPS. Didn't get delivered. I called and checked on it and they said a road block caused the package delay. At the time where I was living, there were 3 major roads that connected to my road (my road was not closes (only 2nd house down the road anyway). I talked to a buddy that works for them, and found out thats the excuse they use when the truck was too full and could not deliver all the stuff in one shift.

Fedex I had a problem where the package was opened, items taken out and then repackaged in one of their boxes and continued to be shipped (I shipped the items to my parents). They refused to do anything as the package was delivered and signed for (parents had no clue what I was sending them as they were gifts). I didn't learn till a month later that it was litterally repackaged in a different box and items were missing.

There is no true competition for package delivery!

Dave Lehnert
04-13-2009, 6:03 PM
I am sure they did not give you the local number because you would just get a "ya right???" at the other end.
If you ever saw the number of brown boxes in that place at any given time you would wonder how anything made it to the right place.
If a box gets damaged they will rebox it and continue to ship it. Parts may be missing out of the old box before it gets re-boxed.

I ordered a sander from Shopsmith and it made a tour of three states before it went back to shopsmith. The shipping label had come off with my address on it. . There is another label with just a tracking number attached just for this purpose.

John M Bailey
04-13-2009, 7:45 PM
I am not upset about UPS mishandling this package, I understand that mistakes are made sometimes. But what gets my hackles raised is their refusal to work with a guy when they learn of their mistake.
Another problem I have is the way UPS handles every mistake with "an investigation." I didn't need a week long investigation, I need the package.
Yes, investigate to see what happened, but first get the package to me. I called them for three days telling them the package was going the back wrong way, but they would not stop the shipment until the investigation team looked into it. Today the package was recieved back at the Grizzly Pennsylvania Warehouse, but UPS is still telling Grizzly that the package is on its way to me!

Brad Sperr
04-13-2009, 7:55 PM
If you call your local UPS store (not the 800 number) they may give you the number of the distribution center (my local UPS store has before). I'm not sure that the distribution center would put a hold on a package for you though until they've attempted delivery. It can definitely be frustrating when its a package you really want to get.

Joel Goodman
04-13-2009, 8:47 PM
I had the US Mail toss a priority package that was supposed to be signed for over a 5 foot fence into the yard. Next day it rained, package got soaked, finally my wife noticed it and I unpacked a soggy mess and cleaned off the rust. So it all comes down to the person who is actually handling your stuff. At this point it seems that the MBA brainiacs who run things have lost sight of the customer. I read about a professor of medicine who makes the students spend 48 hours in the hospital (wearing the backless robe) to give them an idea of what it feels like to be on the receiving end of hospital care. (Wow I got off topic -- but I do feel better!)

Bill Huber
04-13-2009, 8:50 PM
The problem is there is not true competition for package delivery. Yes there are 3 main companies (soon to be 2, DHL / Airborne on way out). But they are so entrenched that there is no real competition. So, they have no need to have great customer service.

That is wrong, there is very strong competition between the 2 main players. If one does one thing the other one will do everything they can to top it.

I hate to see anyone loose a package or the package gets miss-routed but when you think about sorting 3,000,000 packages a night by each of them in about 4 hours, that is really something. If there is a problem with just 1% that is 60,000 packages that have a problem of some type.

I do think that both could do better on the front end in helping the customer.

Dave Lehnert
04-13-2009, 9:03 PM
Here is an interesting video on how UPS does packages.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/ultimate-factories/3330/overview#tab-Videos/05351_00

John Lucas
04-14-2009, 1:59 AM
I am lucky. My UPS man takes packages to the shop if it has wooddshopdemos in the name and he will cover it with plastic. On real heavy stuff, he will ring the bell and ask if I want it inside. I go out and he places it whereever I want. I think he would unpack it for me.
Is is a weekend woodworker and, not a female, but a real help nonetheless.. I am sure UPS is looking at the stop as "too long." He doesnt care, he has 32 years in and a real hefty retirement fund (like over $350,000).

Ken Fitzgerald
04-14-2009, 10:33 AM
That is wrong, there is very strong competition between the 2 main players. If one does one thing the other one will do everything they can to top it.

I hate to see anyone loose a package or the package gets miss-routed but when you think about sorting 3,000,000 packages a night by each of them in about 4 hours, that is really something. If there is a problem with just 1% that is 60,000 packages that have a problem of some type.

I do think that both could do better on the front end in helping the customer.

Spoken like someone in the know Bill!:confused::rolleyes:

I deal with both of the major players several times a week. I live about 5 blocks from the Fedex office and the women who work at the station(including the station manager) know my kids names by heart and have even been graced by the presence of my little great-granddaughter Riley! Recently Fedex destroyed the lathe given to me by the idiot Creeker turners and gifted it to another Creeker and they reimbursed me for it.

Folks..everyone makes mistakes....every company has jerk or idiot employees.

There is No Excuse for letting bureaucracy mistreat customers. That is just plain laziness, callousness or being uncivil. Inexcuseable IMHO.

John M Bailey
04-14-2009, 2:12 PM
Well, My package is still in limbo. Will I ever get my stuff? I don't know. UPS tells me they returned it to Grizzly, then UPS is telling Grizzly that they have rescheduled the delivery to me! The tracking shows that it was delivered to Grizzly on 4/13.
I do not know how to proceed, because UPS and Grizzly cannot seam to get together.

John M Bailey
04-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Well, another day has gone by, and I still do not know when I will get my order. Grizzly has not let me know anything more, and UPS considers the package delivery complete since they returned to sender.

Stephen Edwards
04-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Unfortunately, the hassle has been yours to deal with. I've had this happen to me a couple times over the years. It is SO annoying when UPS CS won't give you the phone number of the local center.

Generally, I get great service from both UPS and FedEx. In my area, they are certainly competing for the business. Over the past 18-24 months I've noticed that the FedEx ground service has improved dramatically! They're now giving UPS a run for their money in that service.

Still, the drivers from both companies who deliver to me, way out in the boonies, give great service.

One thing that I've learned to do to decrease the possibility of a hassle: Ask the shipper to put this on the outside of your package:

Note to driver: Customer's phone number: 555-555-5555.........you get the idea.