PDA

View Full Version : Plum?

Mike Svoma
04-13-2009, 1:29 PM
Has anyone turned plum wood before? What can I expect. Thanks for your input.

Gary Herrmann
04-13-2009, 1:44 PM
Plum turns like and looks similar to pear - so it is very workable. The only thing I don't like about plum is that it tends to crack rapidly and badly if you haven't removed the pith from the stock your storing. I found that out the hard way.

Mike Svoma
04-13-2009, 1:46 PM
Thanks Gary.

Jim Underwood
04-13-2009, 9:52 PM
I have turned some ornamental plum that is just gorgeous. It's a fairly hard wood with nice close grain, and a nice variable brown color.

I have a couple of stumps still sitting out under the shed. It's all cracked up, but I may still make some boxes or something else out of it.

Jim Sebring
04-13-2009, 11:52 PM
I've rough-turned several bowls in the last two months from wet plum wood. The stuff cuts nicely, just like other fruitwoods. I Anchorseal my turnings the moment they come off the lathe. I do the same with bowls roughed from Silver Maple. I expect to have some loss due to cracking, but I'll just let the roughed bowls sit for a year or so before I try to finish them.

Jarrod McGehee
04-14-2009, 2:53 AM
I cut a few branches off an ornamental plum and it turned quite nice green but it split on me immediately thereafter so you'd want to get a finish on it quickly

alex carey
04-14-2009, 3:17 AM
just expect it to crack.

charlie knighton
04-14-2009, 5:03 AM
my brother-in-law gave me some damson plum, very hard, cuts good, the piece i have is only 5 inches across so only make very small things

takes oil or poly well, nice colors