PDA

View Full Version : Sealing fresh wood to prevent checking

Joe Scarfo
04-13-2009, 1:25 PM
OK....

It's Joe again from Green Bay. Thanks to everyone for their help.

I've found what may be a good source for turning wood. There's a dump area locally for people to dump wood from trees they've cut down.

I've picked up a log section that's about 28" across and about 30" tall..

Untill I've got a few other problesm worked out, I can't turn this big baby.. I need to know what am I to use to seal this so the wood doesn't dry out?

The bark is still on the trunk...

Thanks
Joe

Mike Svoma
04-13-2009, 1:26 PM
I use Anchorseal for sealing end grain. Works great.

Joe Scarfo
04-13-2009, 1:31 PM
Mike..

Tks.. where can I get the stuff? Woodcraft?

Dick Strauss
04-13-2009, 1:32 PM
Anchorseal is my first choice as well. Old latex paint will work in a pinch though I'd recommend that you thin it before using.

Burt Alcantara
04-13-2009, 1:33 PM
My local Woodcraft sells AnchorSeal. If you can get a few buddies together you could get a 55 gal drum for a lot less per ounce. However, a gallon lasts quite a while.

Burt

Mike Svoma
04-13-2009, 1:40 PM
You can also order directly from www.uccoatings.com (http://www.uccoatings.com)

Steve Schlumpf
04-13-2009, 1:41 PM
Joe - Woodcraft in Appleton should have it! Worse case - a few coats of latex paint will work in a pinch. Make sure there are no cracks before you seal it as those cracks will continue to grow no matter what sealer you use.

Good luck!

Joe Scarfo
04-13-2009, 1:46 PM
Thanks everyone... Looks like I'll be visiting woodcraft thursday afternoon

Allen Neighbors
04-13-2009, 1:47 PM
If it's as big around as it is long, it'll split, regardless of what you put on it. It might be best to cut it down the middle (thru the pith) and then anchorseal the whole thing along both faces, and end grain. It might slow the splitting some.
Just my opinion.