PDA

View Full Version : Which Band Saw?

Daryl Henderson
04-13-2009, 1:11 PM
I am looking at a Grizzly Band Saw!! But which one. I have not used one much but I want one! That being said-Grizzly is discounting some of their saws and offering free shipping on others.

Here is my question-

GO514X-19"/3hp/2speeds (1700 & 3500)/$1,250 w/free shipping

GO514X2-same as above but with a foot break/$1,395 w/free shipping

GO514X2B-same as above but with a motor break/$$1,495 + $94 frt

GO566-21"/3hp/1 speed (4600fpm)/with a foot break/$1,495 w/free shipping

If they are all the same HP do you need the extra 2", and what are the benefits, if any, of the 2speed vs. the single higher speed. Is the motor break $194 better than a foot break?

Thanks for your opinion
Daryl

Cary Falk
04-13-2009, 1:16 PM
G0566 all the way. A motor brake vs a foot brake wouldn't matter that much to me. The bigger the bandsaw the better.

Eddie Darby
04-13-2009, 1:34 PM
Have you seen the comparison chart that Grizzly have at their website?

http://grizzlyindustrial.com/images/pdf/Grizzly_BandsawComparisonChart.pdf

The bigger the saw the more time it takes for the wheels to stop rotating.

I just let mine do it's own thing and stop on it's own. I'm not doing high volume production work.

A foot brake is something you have to apply manually, so that's another steep required, a motor break is more convenient, and in an emergency hitting one switch might be helpful. I you don't need to stop on a dime.:D

Look to your cutting needs, as far as capacity. The throat size limits your depth of cut, and resaw capacity is important to some.

Larger saws can handle faster blade speeds, which helps with increasing volume.

Geared table rack n' pinion is a nice feature, as well as cast iron trunnions.

If you need some height on the table, these saws can be raised on pallets.

If you want to do more curved cutting than straight line cutting, then scrolling on a smaller tire blade is easier to track.
Large tires tend to have less camber on them, and some are flat.

Here is a thread on scrolling, using wood replacement blocks.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=108511

This is a thread on the 21" model.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=109597

Jeff Duncan
04-13-2009, 6:13 PM
Just curious if you haven't used one much before, why do you think you need a bandsaw that large? I think most hobbiests start out with a 14" and my guess is probably never need bigger.
As for your questions I don't think a brake is necessary, though I really like having one and for only $100 I think I'd go for it (mine was a good deal more $$$ than that).
I don't know where you would need a second speed, but then again I'm no expert so.....? My 20" Delta has one speed and that's all I've ever needed.
Lastly I don't like extra electronics like brakes on my motors, foot brakes are simple mechanical mechanisms easy to fix.
good luck,
JeffD

Trace Beard
04-13-2009, 6:25 PM
I am looking at a Grizzly Band Saw!! But which one. I have not used one much but I want one! That being said-Grizzly is discounting some of their saws and offering free shipping on others.

Here is my question-

GO514X-19"/3hp/2speeds (1700 & 3500)/$1,250 w/free shipping

GO514X2-same as above but with a foot break/$1,395 w/free shipping

GO514X2B-same as above but with a motor break/$$1,495 + $94 frt

GO566-21"/3hp/1 speed (4600fpm)/with a foot break/$1,495 w/free shipping

If they are all the same HP do you need the extra 2", and what are the benefits, if any, of the 2speed vs. the single higher speed. Is the motor break $194 better than a foot break?

Thanks for your opinion
Daryl

Don't forget the MS 10% (up to 200.00) cashback if the saw is listed on ebay!