PDA

View Full Version : Strange Bowl

Richard Madison
04-13-2009, 12:33 PM
This little bowl was destined for the burn pile, so it was a good candidate for woodburning practice. Wally Dickerman's beautiful "Smokey Vessels" prompted me to see what could be done with no experience and no talent. It's kind of a mezo-american sun god motif. Pretty crude, but it was fun to do. Maybe can do a better one some day. Comments welcome of course.

David Christopher
04-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Richard, that looks good to me.....my wife does artistic work like that..I cant even draw a stick man strait..so I think you done a outstanding job

Steve Frederick
04-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Yeah, really!
I don't think I could do anything even close, regardless of how many tries!

Steve Schlumpf
04-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Richard - that's pretty cool! Would have liked a few additional photos to showcase the bowl - but I get the general idea! Nice work and I like the imagination!

Steve Knowlton
04-13-2009, 1:06 PM
All i can say is AWESOME.

curtis rosche
04-13-2009, 2:18 PM
that peice is great. good thing it wasnt fire wood

Burt Alcantara
04-13-2009, 2:29 PM
Your piece is beautiful and shows that you have a good eye for design and execution. I look forward to more of your "throw-aways."

Burt

Wayne Bower
04-13-2009, 2:48 PM
Very cool. I like it. Maybe give us a couple of hints on how you did it.

Don Carter
04-13-2009, 3:08 PM
Richard, for someone with no talent and no experience, that is absolutely beautiful, my friend. ;) Wish I was as talented and experienced.

charlie knighton
04-13-2009, 4:41 PM
very nice, are you starting a new series??? name that series

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2009, 4:58 PM
That is really cool. I really like it.

Bill Bolen
04-13-2009, 5:52 PM
Fun bowl! This piece is a loooooong way from crude!...Bill..

Jeff Nicol
04-13-2009, 6:04 PM
Richard, Sometimes the practice piece becomes the art piece! This one is a prime example of that! It is really very cool and you should be proud of the little bugger!

Jeff

Bob Hallowell
04-13-2009, 8:10 PM
Richard,
I think it looks great, Very cool!

Clara Koss
04-13-2009, 8:28 PM
nothing wrong with the bowl!!!! very pretty...:p

Brian McInturff
04-13-2009, 8:44 PM
Richard,
Very hard to believe you've never done these. If that's true I think you found your calling. I think it's great. I really like the form also.:cool:

alex carey
04-13-2009, 9:42 PM
It looks very cool, nice job.

Richard Madison
04-13-2009, 11:59 PM
Wow! Thanks to all for your generous comments. What a pleasant surprise.

Steve S.- Angle of piece in the photo chosen to hide crude and ugly attempted worm hole repairs. Been wanting a graduated photo background but could not justify the $$, so ironed and starched my sheet background. Found that with self timer set, I could shade part of the background with a handheld piece of cardboard about 2 ft. above to create the illusion. Shot in the shop on tablesaw under ordinary 4ft. fluorescents, using camera's white balance preset.

Wayne B.- Outlined over pencil lines with knife tip. The rest all done w/ spoon shading tip. Took several many sessions, as the shading tool gets pretty warm after a few minutes.

Charlie- Had not thought of a series, but you have given me an idea. Might work on some wood without the worm holes. Will see if my gallery lady thinks they would sell. Have been working on another open stave ribbon form, but my feeble brain won't make the necessary 3D calculations to do what I want, so having to make a bunch of test pieces and try to prototype the thing. That last "Lost My Marbles" piece took almost a month and wore me out. Took a while to get going again.

Thanks again y'all. Have been somewhat "down" lately and you have really brightened my day.

Dewey Torres
04-14-2009, 12:21 AM
"Dueling Suns!"

Just the name that came to mind:o

Jarrod McGehee
04-14-2009, 2:54 AM
you say it may be crude but it looks quite nice.