PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 8" Jointer alignment

zayd alle
04-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Good morning, folks.

I recently purchased a used G1018 8" jointer in good condition. However, with no manual available and this being my first jointer, I was hoping to get some guidance from folks here.

FYI: the jointer fence mechanism is very similar to the G0586 currently being sold by Grizzly with a few minor differences.

My questions are about fence alignment to the table.

1. Is the fence adjustment stud the correct way to adjust the fence for 90-degree alignment to the tables? When I loosen the fence lock handle in order to adjust this stud, the fence never returns to the same position when I tighten the handle again. By this, I mean loosening the handle and adjusting the stud never produces reliable results because the fence can move quite a bit. Shouldn't the fence return to the same position if I, for example, loosen the handle and retighten it without adjusting anything?

2. How does one adjust the fence height? Is it simply loosening the two cap screws holding the fence mechanism to the base and raising the whole assembly? I ask because I did this and allowed for roughly 1/4" clearance, but the fence adjust slop seems to have dropped the fence back down to the table.

3. My initial measurements indicate that the infeed and outfeed tables may not be in parallel planes -- I'll know more when I can measure more accurately. Is the only correction for this regrinding the tables? I don't imagine there is a way to adjust the tables since they slide on the fixed dovetail ways.

I'm sure much of this is inexperience, but I'm also mechanically proficient and am surprised I haven't figured this out. I'm hoping it's not an issue with the jointer.

Thanks for the help with this.

Zayd

Bob Lloyd
04-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Manual here

http://www.grizzlyindustrial.com/images/manuals/g1018_m.pdf

zayd alle
04-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks, Bob. Checked it through and it's the same adjustment information as the G0586.

Zayd

Stephen Edwards
04-13-2009, 1:17 PM
I'd be really surprised if you have to regrind the tables. I would imagine that it's an adjustment/alignment issue.

For the fence height, can you bring both tables to the same height and then put a spacer between the tables and the bottom of the fence before tightening the fence height mechanism?

I realize that people use the jointer differently. However, I'd venture to say that most people set it up 90 degrees to the table and that's where it stays! If changing to and from 90 degrees on a regular basis I would always double check with a square. Perhaps that's just an old work habit of mine. While I do use stops as a reference point, I always double check any adjustments with a square.

Tom Hintz
04-13-2009, 1:25 PM
I also set my jointer fences to 90-degrees to the table and leave them alone most of the time. If I need a bevel cut, I use a gauge to set that correctly, then my square to return the fence to 90-degrees.

You can adjust beds that run on dovetails by inserting thin, narrow shims on teh top of the appropriate dovetail, on the end needed. It is not a fun thing to do but does work. Some try tightening the Gibb screws long the sides of the dovetail but those just control side-to-side play between the bed and dovetail and have no impact on height.

I have a story (with photos and video) on setting up and using jointers at the link below if more info would be of help.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/basic/usejntr.html

Jason White
04-13-2009, 2:41 PM
You should be able to download a PDF of the manual from Grizzly.

Jason

Good morning, folks.

I recently purchased a used G1018 8" jointer in good condition. However, with no manual available and this being my first jointer, I was hoping to get some guidance from folks here.

FYI: the jointer fence mechanism is very similar to the G0586 currently being sold by Grizzly with a few minor differences.

My questions are about fence alignment to the table.

1. Is the fence adjustment stud the correct way to adjust the fence for 90-degree alignment to the tables? When I loosen the fence lock handle in order to adjust this stud, the fence never returns to the same position when I tighten the handle again. By this, I mean loosening the handle and adjusting the stud never produces reliable results because the fence can move quite a bit. Shouldn't the fence return to the same position if I, for example, loosen the handle and retighten it without adjusting anything?

2. How does one adjust the fence height? Is it simply loosening the two cap screws holding the fence mechanism to the base and raising the whole assembly? I ask because I did this and allowed for roughly 1/4" clearance, but the fence adjust slop seems to have dropped the fence back down to the table.

3. My initial measurements indicate that the infeed and outfeed tables may not be in parallel planes -- I'll know more when I can measure more accurately. Is the only correction for this regrinding the tables? I don't imagine there is a way to adjust the tables since they slide on the fixed dovetail ways.

I'm sure much of this is inexperience, but I'm also mechanically proficient and am surprised I haven't figured this out. I'm hoping it's not an issue with the jointer.

Thanks for the help with this.

Zayd

Cecil Hunt
02-25-2017, 10:21 PM
Hi Zayd
I just bought a Grizzly G1018 and found the same problem with the fence that you had. Did you ever find a solution to the problem?

Thanks,
Cecil Hunt