PDA

View Full Version : need help finding a sealed bearing

curtis rosche
04-13-2009, 10:44 AM
my local hardware store doesnt have sealed bearings. does any one know if advanced auto parts has them? i checked their website, but nothing specifically says sealed bearings.

Jon McCoy
04-13-2009, 11:30 AM
There's several places listed in the Lancaster, PA yellow pages under 'Bearings'. If you'd prefer online, start at Grainger.com (who also has a Lancaster store), then websearch for more online vendors if you like.

Frankly, you should get friendly with your local Grainger crew, and use them as a "how do I" resource to solve problems. It wouldn't hurt to make friends with a local machine shop crew, too -- they may create tricky parts in return for a few hours of general labor sweeping up or stocking steel.

-jon-

Pete Jordan
04-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Hey Curtis,

Try this place.

http://www.thebigbearingstore.com

Joshua Dinerstein
04-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Curtis,

The cheapest place I found them was on the bay. I got 10 for just a few bucks. I didn't need 10 but it was something like $4 for 1 or $8 for 10. So I bought 10 just in case.

I just needed 1 to make a vacuum adapter for my lathe. Which has turned out to be way harder than I thought. I missed the fact that my HF lathe has a 1/2 12tpi LH?!!!??!!!?? thread. So I thought I was golden with my RH tap/die for it. Turns out the Jet it is a copy of is much the same and has the same.... issue. Anyone have a tap die set for threading this thing?

Anyway, if you want some you can go there. If you want 1 give me a shout. Mine were fairly large but look like they will work perfectly. If I can get the rest to work-out. I will have to change my plans to make this work now...

Joshua

Ryan Baker
04-13-2009, 8:29 PM
It's normal for the outboard spindle to be left-hand thread. Forward rotation of the lathe won't unscrew things that way. You can get left-hand taps and dies from machine-shop supply places. You can also get standard-size left-hand nuts in almost any hardware store which you can often use to build that kind of adapter.

Jason Clark2
04-13-2009, 8:48 PM
I purchased mine at Lowes. Looks like there are Lowes in Lancaster, Elverson, and Avondale. Not sure which is closest to you.

Jason

curtis rosche
04-13-2009, 8:49 PM
i went to the local stores, they didnt have anything. i decided i didnt want to order it and wait. so i went to Brown bearings and transmisions. had the part right away. only problem i had was that i didnt go there first. and that from them the little bearing was $17 for one!!