PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
04-13-2009, 9:32 AM
13 Apr 2009

Good Morning Everyone,

It's been a very tough week last week for me as I lost a friend, mentor, and work associate and his funeral was last Wednesday. It's just taken me some time to sort through it and put my own life in order. Things are changing at work and stress and long hours have been getting the best of me and I just want all this stuff to be over and done with.

Any way, I'm still working on the antique school desk and I have the top glued up and sanded down, today I will be working on milling the slots and profiling the ends of the boards and I hope by tomorrow afternoon, have it together and an oil finish on it....I hope.!!

A friend of mine, also is our family doctor, is coming by once a week and we are building a book case for his wife out of pecan. Ya know, it's very hard to teach someone about woodworking while you're trying to build a piece of furniture at the same time. But, it's well worth it to me, he's a great person and very understanding. Maybe we can have that done next week.

It's yard and garden season now as well as tornado season. Many are now trying to put their lives back together after the tornado that hit Mena, AR.

Cool temps and a very wet rain soaked yard this morning. Time for me to get done with my coffee and get in the shop.

That's it for me....so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-13-2009, 9:40 AM
On call last week at work. That ends in about 24 minutes.

Saturday...Mowed and trimmed the yard. Cleared the carport off again and hauled the packing crate from my new sander to the dump. Milled and glued up cherry boards for the table top of the table I'm building.

Sunday....Took the wife out for breakfast. In the morning I sharpened some of my turning tools. Sunday afternoon and evening I turned the center spindle/column for the table I'm building. Finished it last evening. Now have to router the dovetails in it for the legs.

mark page
04-13-2009, 9:41 AM
Wet and rainy here in KC. Smoked a turkey yesterday for Easter and finished just before the rain hit. The first turkey that I have actually smoked and it turned out very well I must admit. Am off today and heading to the local bank to see if refinancing the home will drop 2.5 pts off the interest rate. Am curious to see what the local home values have plummeted to since the crisis as we have had several neighboring homes foreclosed on. Then off to purchase the new Stihl weedeater. Still have pampas grass that needs cutting. Garden spots and flower beds still need tilled, but will have to wait till the rain subsides and dries out. #1 stepdaughter back in the house again, so another mouth to feed and rearrange living areas. No time for shop time, but what else is new lately. Have a good week all!!!

Jim Becker
04-13-2009, 9:43 AM
The weekend was expected...equestrian on Saturday and then a bunch of house cleaning. Sunday, we had guests for "PassEaster" dinner and I also reviewed our tax returns as it's getting close to time to mail them out... ;)

Jim O'Dell
04-13-2009, 9:47 AM
I got done about what I expected. Unfortunately, no shop time. Delivered a rescue to his new forever home, and man is he in heaven! Weekend retreat is about 22 acres of pecan orchard. They turned him loose in the front 9 acres Sat afternoon, and said he ran end to end, then side to side. We had walked it with him on leash while we were there. He will get to go to work with "Dad" most of the time, and "Mom" only works 2 to 3 days a week now.
Spent Sat. afternoon taking apart 11 of the 45 sprinkler heads and cleaned them out and resealed them. They were leaking out of the case. Got them all fine tuned and ready to use. Found another one that is leaking underground, probably another cracked pipe.
Spend Sunday being lazy since it rained so much overnight. Now it's back to work. Have a great week! Jim.

Dewey Torres
04-13-2009, 9:58 AM
Have 3 projects roughed out (turnings), awaiting delivery of inlay materials:D

Rod Sheridan
04-13-2009, 10:13 AM
No woodworking for me, I prepped the snow blower for storage until next winter, put the snow shovels away etc.

I also did some annual maintenance on my motorcycle as well as some on the Museum raffle motorcycle.

Oh, and of course had Easter Dinner with the parent's in law..........A good weekend.......Rod.

harry strasil
04-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Trimmed the bottom branches off the cedar tree by the driveway and cut down a volunteer maple and picked up branches in the yard and hauled them to the tree dump. Stole some clay from a bank at the tree dump to put around my foundation to help seal out the rain water. Did some hole drilling on the Apron of my Nubench, made legs for the little wood lathe a friend gave me, Made a cutting board to go on one side of the new Stainless Steel kitchen sink out of the countertop cutout. And made a box joint jig for cutting 1/4 inch box joints out of a scrap of the kitchen floor underlayment and a 12 inch piece of steel 1/4 inch keystock. Raked the leaves away from the north east side of the house and from under the ramp for my wife and mulched them up with the zero turn riding mower. All in all a good productive weekend.

Jonathan Spool
04-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Saturday was amazing! First off I pegged my finger with my 23g, being stupid. I know better than that! Tiny little hole but hurts a long time inside.
I mounted my patternmakers vise using my brand new MFS400 router guide. Finally bit the bullet and boaught one. Miscalculated the first mortise cut and hat to glue in a filler. Then I nicked the MFS 400 and that hurt more than the finger. Really P'd me off that I could be so stupid!
Fixed it with Alumaweld.
Finally got the vise and workbench top mounted on Sunday, and have the guide all smoothed out and ready for what evers next.
Finger feels a lot better today. Lucky I didn't get infected.
For those who don't know how that happens, the rule is NEVER have your finger supporting a board alongside the pinner. The pins do veer of and out the side sometimes, and it happens real quick!

Jerome Hanby
04-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Took baby girl to the Georgia Aquarium, which happens to be a couple of miles from IKEA, so she came home with a Beluga Whale stuffed animal and I came home with a chunk of beech counter top to try for a workbench top.

Local hardwood place has some European Beech on sale that should work well for the base...

Scott Wigginton
04-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Friday was LOML's birthday so shop time was limited. I rewired my TS to run on 220V, wasted a lot of time trying to get a pipe organ blower to run in reverse, and assembled the legs for the new picnic table.

Next up I'm gonna see if I can bend 6" S&D pipe with my torpedo heater :D

Steve Knowlton
04-13-2009, 1:04 PM
Great weekend., Started on friday with oldest daughters doctor visit. got good news doc says the lupus is in check. he scheduled an mri to see the changes in her brain. Then watched youngest son play baseball game. lost big time but was fun as he had to play 3rd instead of first. Got home late then up early for another long drive for his double header. ended up helping coach. Sunday was even better. Church where the ladies had a cantata. was great awesome dinner then went into the shop for some turning. worked on the stair spindle job. need 36 have 9 more to go. also turned a pen for my daughters associate.
New week starts with youngest daughters birthday. 24 time sure does fly.
God Bless and have a great week.

Thomas Knapp
04-13-2009, 2:01 PM
There were 12 of us at our house for Easter Dinner. My wife has a developmentally handicapped sister. and We also celebrated her birthday. So most of my weekend was tied up with those two events. It's always good to get family together. My two younger children could not make it home. They both live and work out of state. :( They both called though, and it is better than when my son had to spend Easter in Kuwait, getting ready to go into Iraq. I did get a puzzle finished for a lady my wife works with. The baby in the puzzle is her granddaughter. It was not a great woodworking weekend, but family does come first, so it was a good weekend.

Clint Schlosser
04-13-2009, 2:09 PM
Set Of Drawers Project

Planed and sized wood for carcass
Box Joint Jig
Router Dado Jig
Crosscut Sled
Wood Purchase

I was busy