PDA

View Full Version : Drying Wood Question

Jim Koepke
04-13-2009, 2:56 AM
Just through a chance encounter with a neighbor a couple of days ago, it came up that he had an apple tree fall down this year in the storms. He was going to just use it for fire wood. After a little talking he said I could have it. It is over a foot in diameter and about five twisted feet long with a good sized crotch area. There is also a bit of stump left above the ground. Should that just be cut off or is it worth digging down a bit?

My question is what should I do to keep if from splitting while it waits for me to get it cut down a little and mounted on the lathe?

Guess I will also have to figure out how to make hollow forms.

Thanks for any help you may offer,

jim

neil mackay
04-13-2009, 4:23 AM
seal the end grain asap with what ever your favorite sealer is, wax, paint,anchorseal, old varnish, boiled linseed or what ever

alex carey
04-13-2009, 4:40 AM
Ditto Anchorseal is my fav.

Jim Koepke
04-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the help.

Looks like the rain may let up today. If the timing is right with the neighbor I may get it today. So many other things though, the wife is going out of town tomorrow and the neighbor has a short time window before going to work.

Work, after retirement, one wonders how they ever found time for that.

jim

Steve Frederick
04-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Ditto on the anchorseal!
Also, once you start turning it, make sure that it doesn't dry out quickly.
I recently turned piece that was checking right before my eyes, as I was roughing it out. Keep the piece covered with a plastic bag while taking coffee/potty breaks!;);)
If you can get it thin (1/4" or less) quickly, then wet sand, things should work out well.

Steve Schlumpf
04-13-2009, 1:11 PM
Jim - best of luck to you turning apple! Every piece I have tried cracked as I was turning it. Probably a good idea to have a spray bottle with water in it and spray it every one in a while while turning it - just to keep the moisture content high enough to prevent cracking. The prez of our turning club turns lots of apple bowls and loves it - so I know it can be done!

Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing some turnings out of apple real soon!