PDA

View Full Version : Garageshop Space Saving Ideas

Steve King
07-29-2004, 11:11 PM
Attached are pictures of some of my space saving ideas that I have incorporated in my garage shop, which includes 2 golf carts. The space is 22’ x 22’ which I had to arrange into an “L” shaped work area. On the south side is the miter & storage station. I used the idea from “Norm” and built it to meet my needs. The first pic is the storage of the mortiser and machinist vice on a pullout shelf. Next pic is how I can attach the mortiser and vice to the corner of the work bench (used the idea I saw in a magazine) The next pic is the cabinet that houses a grinder and OSS. I installed the grinder on a pullout shelf, mounted the grinder on a turntable that can be rotated and locked at 90* 180* and 270*. Below the grinder is the OSS which is hinged to fold out and is supported by a fold out support. Last pic is the mobile sheet good rack with lumber storage above.
Thanks for viewing,
Steve

Dick Parr
07-29-2004, 11:20 PM
Very nice Steve, those are some good space savers. I have the sheet stock cart and it helps. Might just use your idea for the mortiser, I need to get mine off the work bench. Thanks for the idea's.

Terry Hatfield
07-29-2004, 11:53 PM
Steve,

Nice!!!! Excellent thought and execution!! I'll have to "borrow" the mortiser mounting idea for mine. I really like that one!!

Thanks for posting,

t

Wes Bischel
07-30-2004, 2:24 AM
Great ideas Steve! Well thought out - now you got me thinking . . . .

Wes

Gary Whitt
07-30-2004, 7:50 AM
Great use of space!!!

Sam Chambers
07-30-2004, 9:49 AM
Steve:

Thanks for the pics. You've given me some great ideas for my 13' x 23' basement shop.

Is there any chance you could show a close-up of your lumber rack? Or maybe a description? I've had a similar idea, but I"m still working out the details.

Steve King
07-30-2004, 10:36 AM
Sam,
I made the rack out of 2/4s. The uprights are attached to the wall studs with countersunk lag bolts. The gussets are made from 3/4" plywood and fasten with 3/8" carriage bolts. I used halved T lap joints to secure the lumber supports to the uprights.
Steve

Bob Crosley
07-30-2004, 1:33 PM
Can you post an overview of the entire shop? I'm interested in how you've laid out the stations and major tools.

Sam Chambers
07-30-2004, 5:11 PM
Thanks, Steve. That's very similar to the design I've had rolling around in my head for awhile. I had considered having the gussets a good bit larger, but I may have over-estimated. that's good - more room for wood your way!

David Klug
07-30-2004, 9:26 PM
Steve: how do you like the OSS?

DK

Steve King
07-31-2004, 4:09 PM
Bob,
Sorry for the late reply, instead of posting and making for a long download I have been working on my web site. I attached a link to my home page, click on Shop Tour, I have explained how the shop is laid out along with pictures. Please excuse any mistakes in wording or spelling, I was in a hurry. (html is a PITA)

David,
As far as the Delta OSS; for what I paid ($25.00) it is a good sander. But I would not buy a new one. If I were to buy an OSS it would have a longer spindle and a table that can be tilted.

Steve

Jim Ketron
08-01-2004, 12:12 AM
Great job Steve!!
Nice web site too!!
Good info on the cyclone
Jim

Dick Parr
08-01-2004, 12:23 AM
Nice webb site Steve. Very nice projects. Love those tables.

Steve King
08-01-2004, 7:10 PM
Sorry Kin,
I didn’t know adding a link to my “personal web sit” was a violation of the term of service:confused: I guess I need to read more.
So to the people that want to see the web site, go to my personal profile and click on the link that I posted on the original message.
Thanks

Bart Leetch
08-01-2004, 8:22 PM
Or just click on the dot to the right of Steve's name for the drop down menu & visit his home page. :D :D :D

Bart Leetch
08-01-2004, 8:26 PM
Hi Steve

Is there some way you could show a little more detail on how your spindle sander swings down & stores away & how the support system works.

I have a Jet SS & a Shopfox mortiser that I want to incorporate into a CMS cabinet with drawers & need to know how to do this. Both of these machines are fairly heavy.

Thanks. :)

Steve King
08-01-2004, 9:38 PM
Bart,
The cabinet is 24” wide 24” deep and 33” tall. The shelf is 22 ˝ deep using 3/4” Baltic Burch plywood that is hinged to the upper shelf. I made two swing out supports that hold the sander in the up position. When the shelf is in the up, the swing out arm comes up and will support the shelf.
Steve

Bart Leetch
08-02-2004, 12:01 AM
Pretty slick Steve. Thanks

I want to build a cabinet to replace my roll around tool box box & top box, to hold my mechanic tools with the CMS in the top to the left of the 12" RAS with the Spindle Sander under the left end & the Mortiser inset into the top on the right end lined up with the fence between the CMS & RAS.

Thoughts for a small shop stuffed with tools.