PDA

View Full Version : Grrr...........

Ken Fitzgerald
04-12-2009, 9:47 PM
Well....Most will understand this.....some will doubt it.

Me......"Mr. I Love My SKEWS"......well

I have had $273 worth of cherry acclimating in my shop for over a month. This past week I started cutting, gluing and getting ready to turn it into my version of Norm's "Martha Washington's candle stand". I was at the point where I had to turn the center column/spindle.

So.....I haven't done any turning in a few weeks.

This morning I spent sharpening tools and getting ready. This afternoon I put the glued up 24"x4" spindle between centers and got with it. I was purposely taking my time as I didn't want to ruin this expensive wood. I started turning at the bottom working up the column towards the top which is at the headstock end of my lathe. I turned a ball with a center bead and progressed further. Then I decided to come back and use my 5/8" Lacer skew to accentuate the lines of ball. Unforturnately I went at the job with a little apprehension and not enough commitment. Yup. The skew skated on me and I got to redo the ball with the center bead all over again with a slightly smaller diameter!:o

It was totally my fault for not commiting to the cut.

But I recovered.

Photos when the project is finished.

David Christopher
04-12-2009, 9:52 PM
Ken, I love my skew.....it makes a great scraper

Dewey Torres
04-12-2009, 9:53 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing pics of the catch myself. It would give me a full tank of gas knowing that it still happens to guys like you.

What do you mean by fully committing? Firm grip? Tool pressure?:o

Steve Schlumpf
04-12-2009, 9:59 PM
Dewey - when it comes to turning - when you go to start a cut you can not have hesitation. You figure out where to start the cut and then you follow through. If you hesitate in the cut or decide - Oh, I should move it over a bit - you will get a catch and be given the opportunity to redesign that area of your turning. Happens real quick on the skew but will happen on a bowl gouge just as easily!

Ken - looking forward to seeing the finished project! Sounds like it will be quite the beauty!

Dewey Torres
04-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Dewey - when it comes to turning - when you go to start a cut you can not have hesitation. You figure out where to start the cut and then you follow through. If you hesitate in the cut or decide - Oh, I should move it over a bit - you will get a catch and be given the opportunity to redesign that area of your turning. Happens real quick on the skew but will happen on a bowl gouge just as easily!

Ken - looking forward to seeing the finished project! Sounds like it will be quite the beauty!

Yep that's what I thought. Been there:mad:

Don Carter
04-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Ken:
I know it is easy for me to say this, but forget about how expensive the wood is...

But everyone has done this when doing an important piece or on wood that cannot be replaced. I get kinda breathless just thinking about it. ;) I turned a piece for someone that was from wood that was 125 years old. I told myself it was just a piece of 2x4 and turned it just as planned.

When the project is done only those that have been told will know that there was a miscue during construction.

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Ken just getter done. We've all been there and I know I have.:mad: Steve is absolutely right. If cutting with a skew he who hesitates will have a series of spiral lines cut due to skating. Don't we call that a design change Ken??:eek: Of course it hurts more with expensive woods.:mad:

Ken Fitzgerald
04-12-2009, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing pics of the catch myself. It would give me a full tank of gas knowing that it still happens to guys like you.

What do you mean by fully committing? Firm grip? Tool pressure?:o

It gave me a full tank of gas!:confused::rolleyes: Or rather heartburn!

It actually recovered nicely and if I hadn't told anyone, I don't think anybody would notice or know.

As Steve put it, though, a lot of cuts using any turning tool requires a commitment and once started, there is no turning back!

That message was the main reason I posted this. Commit and follow through!

Dewey Torres
04-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Ok thanks...looking forward to the pics!

curtis rosche
04-13-2009, 10:31 AM
what kind of cherry is it that makes it that expensive?

Joshua Dinerstein
04-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Sorry Ken. I hate to hear that. But as Dewey said it gives me a certain sense of camaraderie to know that it still happens to those who are far ahead of me on the wood turning curve. I was working on a kiln dried Mahogany box and pencil cup for my Mother-in-law this weekend. Everything was going great. I Box came out perfect. Then the pencil cup of death. (I will post pictures tonights) but I had a nice flared bottom on the box and it is just a good shape. Simple and easy to use with old hands. The pencil cup had a bad enough catch with the skew that now it is a little off center in decoration. Because it is a little shorter than planned with no flaring. Ah well.

The wife loves it, wants some for herself, and is sure her Mother will love it. I just couldn't clear my mind of the fact that it was expensive wood and hard to replace in my shop. Ah well. Could be worse.

Great job on the fix tho! I am looking forward to seeing the pics of your finished work.

Joshua

Ken Fitzgerald
04-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Curtis,

I paid $273 for 23.3 bd/ft of 8/4 cherry...a board 8" x 10' and one board 6"x 10'

Hardwoods are in short supply here. But we sure have pine, fir etc!:D

curtis rosche
04-13-2009, 12:13 PM
wow. that is pricey. i guess you get spoiled when you have local wood. hope you project comes out how you wanted it

Danny Thompson
04-13-2009, 12:15 PM
I know it is easy for me to say this, but forget about how expensive the wood is...

Like poker . . . they're just chips.

George Guadiane
04-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Ken, I love my skew.....it makes a great scraper
I use a really BIG skew
As a reground negative rake scraper - works GREAT!

Mike Svoma
04-13-2009, 1:23 PM
Curtis....prices for any given species of lumber will vary greatly depending on availability of that species locally. The price that Ken paid in his location doesn't suprise me a bit.

Burt Alcantara
04-13-2009, 1:35 PM
Since I don't use my skews that much when I need to use one I whip out a 2x4 and do a good practice session just so I don't end up with nasty catches et al.

Burt

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2009, 7:57 PM
Well,

I made a little jig for my lathe......using a router and the spindle indexing capability.....I routed 3 flat spots to Norm's specs 120º apart on the bottom of the table's spindle. Then I made another "plate" for the top of it an routed the dove tails. Worked like a charm! Yes!

However,

Since then I have ruined more test pieces than you can shake a stick at getting the pins routed on pieces of wood that will be the 3 legs. Luckily...these are just test pieces that were milled to the same thickness. Today is the first time I've been in the shop in 3 days after the last irritating attempt.

Same story.....adjust the fence on the router table....nope....adjust....nope.....then magically the depth of cut changed....then the bit spun right out of the collet.

Grrrrrrr!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-22-2009, 2:56 PM
Well,

I finally got back to the shop after the bathroom remodel.

Here it is........without any finish applied. I need to sweep down my shop.....let the residual dust settle for a few days and then apply a finish.

My version of Norm's Martha Washington's cherry candle stand....without any finish applied....

More photos after it's finished.

David Walser
09-22-2009, 3:57 PM
Ken,

Congratulations! That appears to be a very nice project. Well done.

Sean Hughto
09-22-2009, 4:39 PM
Check out eBay or some of the online sellers. I think even with shipping, you'd come out ahead. You also might well be able to get 16/4 and not need to glue up anything. Hearne Hardwoods is very good.

Mark Burge
09-22-2009, 4:42 PM
Real nice job Ken. Glad to see something go from Grrr! to Cool!

John Keeton
09-22-2009, 5:09 PM
Nice work, Ken!! Love the turned pedestal - my encouragement for practice on the lathe!

Cody Colston
09-22-2009, 8:15 PM
Great job on that candle stand, Ken. I've got that episode recorded on DVR and have thought about making it some day. If I do, I hope it comes out half as nice as yours. Thanks for the pics and the grrrs, too. :D

Ernie Kuhn
09-22-2009, 8:26 PM
Ken,
I'm sure you didn't get that at Woodcraft in Spokane!!!! Sometimes, makes me wish I lived back in Pittsburgh again, but only for a little while. Lots of Maple out here and other figured woods but anything not native, costs the earth. Can't wait to see the pics.
Ernie
Tri-Cities

Joshua Dinerstein
09-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Wicked awesome Ken. Amazing work. Keep it up!

Joshua

Harlan Coverdale
09-23-2009, 3:09 AM
Looking good Ken. What's the diameter of the top?

Ken Fitzgerald
09-23-2009, 8:39 AM
Harlan,

The top measures 19" in diameter.

Thanks your for the kind comments everyone.

Jeff Nicol
09-23-2009, 8:49 AM
Ken, It turned out very nice! I think that will have to go on the list of things to make for the cabin some day! We all have days when the tools win and we beg the turning gods to show us the way to tool enlightenment!! It is just like hunting, days and days of practice and waiting and nothing but when the giant buck steps out for just a second and all you get is an awe inspiring glimpse of him. It is why we drive on and continue to do the things we are passionate about!

Gret job and you have nothing to be bummed about, it is a great piece of turned furniture!

Thanks for your honesty on the BOO BOO'S!!

Jeff

Ken Fitzgerald
09-29-2010, 9:55 PM
Well......I will admit to being a procrastinator.......one year and one week ago, I posted that I had finally completed turning this table.

My wife has the patience of a saint.

I hate finishing. The bigger the finishing project...the more I hate. It took me 2 years to get around to finishing her sideboard. She finally told me I could finish it or ...she'd contact a lawyer and get it written into the divorce settlement that I could finish the sideboard or pay to have it finished.

The pedestal and the bird cage are finished and buffed out. The table top has the finish applied and I am letting cure before I attempt buffing it out.

This was my first major project using Deft brushing lacquer on large surfaces. I have used it on bowls and other small turnings. There was a learning curve but I won't hesitate to use it again and won't procrastinate as long either because of the knowledge I gained. I am starting my finishing diary tonight so I don't have to relearn the lessons.

John Keeton
09-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Boy, dug this thread out of the archives!!!!:D:D

Ken, that Deft sure worked great on the cherry!! Beautiful color and finish - glad you finally finished this thing. I remember when you were looking for cherry to finish it and had to make a special trip to buy it!

BTW, tell the wife you know a good divorce lawyer - then give her my name and number!!;):D:D

Ken Fitzgerald
09-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks John........I think....:rolleyes:

Tim Rinehart
09-29-2010, 10:12 PM
It all looks good to me, and I'm sure it will really shine when finished. Glad to see you recovered from some unplanned incidents well. I was talking to my sister tonight and we mentioned that in various arts, you have to be able to bend and be flexible when things don't go exactly as you start out thinking. I think that's a maturing ability I'm just starting to see in what I do.

Well done! I'd be proud to have that table and present it to LOML.

David Christopher
09-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Ken, it looks good, Im glad youre finally finished..and I know the LOYL is too

David E Keller
09-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Nice looking piece, Ken. If John represents your wife in the proceedings, I'd slip him a box of burl... That should soften him up for you.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-29-2010, 11:23 PM
David,

Thanks but I think John blames me for helping shove him into the vortex and the burl would just remind him.

Bernie Weishapl
09-29-2010, 11:47 PM
That turned out beautiful Ken. I may have to give that brushing lacquer a try.

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-30-2010, 9:14 AM
In golf they always told me you could practice a shot forever but you don't really own it until you could successfully execute it in competition. The same must be true with the skew. When I decided to try to learn to use it I wanted to hang a sign naming my shop "The Skating Rink".
fmr