PDA

View Full Version : Half-hull model

Mike Minto
04-12-2009, 8:04 PM
Out of SA mahogany, my first attempt at making a half-hull. I'm donating it to the 3rd Port reunion, held at Fort Eustis, VA every year. They'll raffle it off the first night of the 2 1/2 day get-together. It's of the Ranger, a 'J' class racer built in 1937. Mike

Tom Hamilton
04-12-2009, 8:49 PM
Mike, nice project. How do you do that? Photo of shape, files, rasps, sandpaper, time and sweat?

A whole new slope!!

Thanks, Tom

Thomas Knapp
04-12-2009, 8:55 PM
How big was the full size boat? I love sail boats. Did you sail? I would like to try one of the hull models myself. Many years ago I used to race on a Yankee (wood) and later on an R- boat (fiber Glass). Two very different one design boats. We raced out of Cleveland Yacht Club on Lake Erie. Luckily they did not make crew members belong to the club. I could not have afforded that. I still go day sailing on a friends Hunter. Hmmm? Now where could I find plans for a Yankee hull?

Mike Minto
04-12-2009, 9:14 PM
If I were to write up how I did this project, it would be almost exactly as you described! I found photos of half-hulls on the internet, drew my own and then after gluing two mahogany boards together, band and table sawed away most of the wood. I then broke out the North Bay Forge carving tools, then broke out into a sweat carving the thing. Finally, microplaning then sanding by hand, and finished with linseed oil, which I have learned darkens mahogany to a really nice color. Mounted on a painted pine board to lend an air of antiquity (antique-ness?) to it, I hope. The plaque says simply, 'Ranger', 1937. Mike

Mike Minto
04-12-2009, 9:16 PM
Thomas, I am a retired Warrant Officer from the US Army's Marine (boat) field, where I worked on ocean-going cargo vessels and tugboats. I do have a Red Cross sailboating certification I earned in Subic Bay, Philippines, but don't sail - no boat. I have this other expensive hobby - woodworking, haha. The 'J' class was a larger racing vessel from the America's Cup series, I believe. Mike

Angus Hines
04-13-2009, 12:09 AM
Very nice model.

And yes the J Class boats were the original America's Cup design.

The 'Atlantic' which still holds the fastest atlantic crossing under sail record was also a J Class boat.

http://www.modelshipmaster.com/products/sail_boats/Atlantic_sailboat.htm

kevin loftus
04-14-2009, 12:10 AM
Mike, nice project. How do you do that? Photo of shape, files, rasps, sandpaper, time and sweat?

A whole new slope!!

Thanks, Tom

Should'nt that be "a whole new sloop" Tom.:D
Nice job Mike.:cool:

Mike Minto
06-01-2009, 2:41 PM
the model was raffled-off at the Saturday night dinner held at the Fort Eustis, VA club. it was won by a retired fella named John Bankert. mike

Carlos Alden
06-01-2009, 4:02 PM
A hull of a job!

Carlos

Jim Kountz
06-01-2009, 7:46 PM
Job well done!!