PDA

View Full Version : Dyed BAB Vase

Brian McInturff
04-12-2009, 7:57 PM
Here is the Black Ash Burl vase that was in my posting about being back. My first attempt at dyeing anything. I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I did learn a few things along the way. Dye magnifies any imperfections in the piece by at least 10. I think the next piece I do I may try something to fill some of the larger open pores in the burl. Dye was a Behlens Solar-lux. Then I wiped on a couple coats about 15 minutes later of BLO. Just enough to make it "pop" a little. Then let dry for a few days. Last was about 5 coats of MinWax Gloss Spray Lac. Sanded with 400 in between coats. If I do another one this size of BAB then I may leave it on the lathe, dye it, then do a CA finish on it. A good way to use up scraps. Vase is 4.25 x 2.75.
http://xmasseals.com/images/creations/Black%20Ash%20bud/DYEDBAB%20002a.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2009, 8:45 PM
Very nice piece and dye job. I don't think I would fill the open pores as that really makes it stand out. I like the looks just the way it is.

curtis rosche
04-12-2009, 8:46 PM
wow, that looks really cool. reminds me of coral reefr

John Fricke
04-12-2009, 9:15 PM
That is way cool. Could we have more info on the dying process? Color dye not human die for any smart alecks out there.

Steve Schlumpf
04-12-2009, 9:32 PM
Brian - I really like this! The dye highlights everything and that makes the piece really work! I've experimented with RIT dye a little and plan on trying some additional colors cause I really like how it changes everything without hiding the grain!

Nice work! I agree with Bernie - don't change your process - this works great as is!

alex carey
04-13-2009, 1:36 AM
I am with Bernie, leave it as it is, it looks great.

Jarrod McGehee
04-13-2009, 3:38 AM
wow that sure is quite nice stuff!

Chris Rae
04-13-2009, 4:56 PM
I like it, that is way cool! I wouldn't change it.
Chris

Brian McInturff
04-13-2009, 8:33 PM
Thanks guys. As for the dyeing process. I basically used SolarLux from Behlens. I ragged it on instead of brushing and rubbed it in and off as quickly as possible. I wanted to keep it light. Solarlux being an oil base I went straight to BLO. Rub it on and off as quickly as possible. I only wanted the BLO to give the eyes a "pop". I did the BLO rub 2 different times. Let dry a couple days to make sure there was no bleeding from the dye and BLO. Then 5 coats of spray lac.
Now to practice taking pics. For some reason it doesn't look symetrical in the pic but it is. Maybe from the downward angle? I really need to get my photo tent out of the closet and learn to use it along with the camera on a tripod.