PDA

View Full Version : Coast Guard Emblem for Cremation Urn

Brian Kent
04-12-2009, 7:13 PM
My cousin's dad is in his last days.

His dad is a Senior Master Chief US Coast Guard Reserve. He has 42 years of service.

My cousin - Jim Pennoyer - is making a cremation urn for him. He has a cherry board set aside for it. Jim needs a Coast Guard emblem for the urn.

Do any of you have resources or connections that Jim could use to get an appropriate emblem?

PS. I am hoping to convince Jim to post here too so maybe he will show the urn.

Brian Kent - and thank you in advance for your help.

Raymond Gerdes
04-12-2009, 7:44 PM
I am sure the perfect emblem is in his chest. His cap emblem or if you want the complete scroll buy an officiers cap emblem. A good uniform store will be glad to help you.

Ray Gerdes in beautiful Texas

Thomas Knapp
04-12-2009, 9:28 PM
I have made Plates with military emblems for service members to hang on their walls. It would be easy to use the technique on an urn.I Print the emblems on Avery Clear Label Stock # 8665. I like it because the wood grain shows through. It works best on light color woods, like maple. I seal the wood, with clear lacquer or blond shellac, before applying the label. I seal the label afterword with clear spray lacquer or "Krylon Preserve It" Digital Photo & Paper Protectant. Spray lacquer works over the top of the protectant also. I am not sure if this is what you had in mind. I included a jpg in case you need it. Many of the modern Ink jet printers have colorfast inks.

Verne Skagerberg
04-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Brian,

I agree with Ray -- the best thing to put on the urn would be an item from his uniform itmes. However, the cap device for a Senior Chief is not the same as an officer's, so I would use one of his. I'm sure there are several in his collection -- they're the sort of thing you acquire a collection of over 42 years. The other way to go would be to carve a recess to fit his rating device which is the indicator of his specialty -- Port Securityman, Boatswains Mate, Quatermaster, etc. He'll undoubtedly have a few of those in the collection as well.

By the way, your cousin's dad is either a Senior Chief or a Master Chief, not both. Master Chief is the senior rating.

Brian Kent
04-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Thank you all. He is traveling to San Diego from Riverside at he moment so I am waiting to pass these on to him.

Brian

Dewey Torres
04-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Brian,

By the way, your cousin's dad is either a Senior Chief or a Master Chief, not both. Master Chief is the senior rating.

Yes and with 42 years of service he has to be a Master Chief. A Senior Chief like me would not be allowed to stay in that long. He would have had to have been one the most senior in the Coast Guard or close to it.