PDA

View Full Version : There's Gold coming to VA!

Carole Valentine
07-29-2004, 6:11 PM
I up and did it today...ordered a Powermatic 54A with mobile base. On sale at Amazon (by phone only) for $731.49 minus another $25 off for a total of $706.49. Best price I have found when you figure free shipping. Now I gotta make room for that aircraft carrier!:)

Jim Becker
07-29-2004, 6:47 PM
Now all kind of folks are going to get dis-jointed with jealousy... :D (Congratulations on a very find gloat!)

Mike Cutler
07-29-2004, 7:42 PM
Dang!. seem like everybodies gettin" gold these days. That's a real nice machine you have coming Carole. Nice Gloat, and way to go.

Cecil Arnold
07-29-2004, 7:50 PM
Nice gloat, nice equipment. Now, where are the pictures?

John Miliunas
07-29-2004, 8:33 PM
Good for you, Carole! :) So, is this an upgrade or a new addition to the tool stable? Either way, I've heard many good things about that unit and you should be very happy with it! Congrats. :cool:

Carole Valentine
07-29-2004, 9:02 PM
Thanks guys! I am real excited! I do not have a jointer right now and every time I needed one, I had to take my wood over to my friends shop. He has the PM 54. I liked his but I decided longer boards would be easier on me with the long wings. Will post pics when the baby arrives.:)

Greg Heppeard
07-29-2004, 11:05 PM
Carole,
You'll love it, I love mine and I have used it to do 12' boards by myself. It still isn't an easy thing to do, but with a smaller one, it would be impossible. Just make sure you keep the top and fence waxed or use Top Coat or something, it will make the play a whole lot more enjoyable. :rolleyes: :)

Lloyd Robins
07-30-2004, 2:29 AM
Good Luck! I like my Jet, but longer boards are not always easy (no, I do not hand joint yet, but I am working on it.) You gold unit should be very nice and extremely handy to have. I look forward to the pictures.

Peter Stahl
07-30-2004, 8:29 AM
Carole,

Congrats on the jointer. My first and only is the Grizzly 6 inch. When I do long boards I try and get them as straight as I can before I joint them, makes them much easier to do. when I did my mantle I had a 7' long piece of 6/4 X 12" oak on it. With the rollers it was easy to do.

Pete

James Carmichael
07-30-2004, 8:36 AM
Congrats! Now, think you can stand a nickel on that one?

Carole Valentine
07-30-2004, 9:14 AM
ROFL! James, I can't even stand a nickel on edge on my kitchen counter! My little part of the world must be tilted! Either that or I have worn nickels.:D I'll have to admit that I was impressed with the pics in the other thread of the nickel on the Griz bandsaw table.