PDA

View Full Version : Lith-ion batteries in ni-cad tools?

James Fleming
04-12-2009, 12:12 PM
I have a DeWalt 14.4v ni-cad drill (DW928) and was wondering if I can get Lithium-ion battery packs and charger for this drill. The DeWalt website has a cryptic message saying that new battery styles fit old tools, but I couldn't find any details. Anyone have any info on this?

Peter Stahl
04-12-2009, 12:28 PM
I have a DeWalt 14.4v ni-cad drill (DW928) and was wondering if I can get Lithium-ion battery packs and charger for this drill. The DeWalt website has a cryptic message saying that new battery styles fit old tools, but I couldn't find any details. Anyone have any info on this?

If the Battery Pack fits and Voltage is the same the drill won't care where the electrons came from. Might be cheaper to have the NiCd batteries rebuilt then getting the Lithium battery packs.

Mike Henderson
04-12-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't know about the 14.4V but I know DeWalt offers an 18V Li Ion battery that can be used with any of their 18V tools. You do need to buy a new charger to go with it.

The price was out of sight, however.

Mike

[And as the Peter mentioned, electrons are electrons. The tool doesn't care what the battery technology is, just what the voltage is and whether the battery can supply the required current.]

Mike Rees
11-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Yes. DeWALT's 14.4 lithium will fit in any of thier 14.4 tools.