PDA

View Full Version : Video for the Porter Cable 4212 dovetail jig?

dennis thompson
04-12-2009, 10:43 AM
I just got the Porter Cable 4212 dovetail jig. It seems a little complicated for a novice like me.
Can anyone point me to a video of how to use it?
Thanks
Dennis

Matthew Hills
04-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Take a look at this video from the woodsmith folks:
Podcast #20: Machine-Cut Dovetails (http://www.woodworkingonline.com/2007/04/30/podcast-20-machine-cut-dovetails/)

Matt

Brad Wood
04-12-2009, 12:09 PM
I had a Craftsman jig for making half blind DT's, and I read the directions probably six times and still didn't get it.
That thing sat in my garage for probably close to three years without being touched. (this was before I really started to get into woodworking).
One day I went out, read each direction, step by step, with wood in hand, and it worked.

I've since upgraded to the same jig you have now. The directions that come with it are much more clear than that which came with the Craftsman, but I can understand how it all may seem a bit intimidating at first.

Read through the instructions for just one type of DT... start with whichever is the first listed - either a blind or full, can't recall off hand.
Go out to the shop and follow each step, one by one, with wood in hand, and do it.
Once you do it, you will "get it". You will need to use it regularly to make it second nature, but it will come to you.
I really think my breakthrough was just getting out there with some cheap pine and following each step rather than just reading it and trying to understand what they are talking about.

Ross Ellis
04-12-2009, 1:48 PM
I have that jig. If you need pointers feel free to PM me. Once you figure it out it's a very simple jig. I can also have the wife photocopy the manual if you need.

Brad Wood
04-12-2009, 2:44 PM
I have that jig. If you need pointers feel free to PM me. Once you figure it out it's a very simple jig. I can also have the wife photocopy the manual if you need.

the manual, and advanced manual, are available in PDF format from the PC web site

Grant Morris
04-13-2009, 1:46 PM
The videos on this page (click the 5 images on the top of the page) were what helped me decide that I didn't need to spring for a more expensive jig. The 4212 is pretty impressive as you will see.

Videos (http://www.deltaportercable.com/jigs/dovetail/)