PDA

View Full Version : ATV info

Dave Lehnert
04-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Kinda like to get an ATV for utility use around the house.
I know nothing about them at all.

What is considered to be a good brand? I am most likely looking for a mid range unit or "Best bang for the buck" I don't "Need" one, but like to "have" one.

I think I know the answer to this but are the import units you see for sale at Pep-Boys or the like even a consideration?

Is one brand able to get more attachments than the other??

Like I said before, I do not even know brand names to look at. So ANY info will be helpful.

Marty Weatherup
04-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Dave,

I think you will find that most of the name brand ATV's will have similar and interchangeable add on equipment. I have a 2006 Arctic Cat 650 TRV. It is a great machine. Plenty of power and is very comfortable to ride. Here in Alaska an ATV is like a second car. We use them a lot. I use mine as much for plowing and getting firewood and sawmill logs as I do for hunting and fishing. I am a Cat fan but you really can't go wrong with Honda, Yamaha, Polaris, Bombardier either. Good luck.

Marty

Rick Moyer
04-12-2009, 11:37 AM
As with everything else, it depends on your intended use. If you plan to plow, be sure to get 4wheel drive. If for sport riding, you'll want an entirely different set-up. I had an Arctic Cat 500 once. It did a great job pushing snow, and the 4-wheel drive was great in the woods. Any of the major players make very good stuff. You should try them out to see what suits you. I do know the Honda a friend had had much better steering than my Arctic Cat but that may have been the style/size more than anything. If you're serious about an ATV, I would stay with the major players.

Edit, I see you did say "utility use", so I would recommend 4WD. I would also add Suzuki and Kawasaki to Marty's list. Then It's a matter of you looking at all of them and deciding what you like. I don't think there is a "bad" one of the group.

Pat Germain
04-12-2009, 11:43 AM
I agree with Marty and Rick. Stick with a known brand which can provide you with parts, service and other support. Those machines for sale at Pep Boys have none of that, as far as I know. I would put those into the category of "disposable".

As with cars, it's pretty hard to go wrong with a Honda. In that case, you get what you pay for and so will the person who eventually buys it from you.

Matt Meiser
04-12-2009, 2:16 PM
We thought about getting a Gator, then an ATV. Someone pointed me to the Kawasaki Mule and we ended up buying a 610 about 3-4 years ago. Now they make the Teryx (sp?) which is more sport/less utility but still looks like it would be pretty useful and I'd probably look seriously at that if I was buying today.

The advantages over an ATV are improved safety, a bed to carry stuff around the yard, and seating for two. Its not as fast as an ATV, takes up more space and can't go as many places. It sips fuel--I fill the tank about once a year. There are a number of accessories available. I added a skid plate and CV boot guards, a hitch, a soft top, a tach, and a soft windshield for in the winter. I also adjusted the governor for more top speed and replaced the clutch spring for better acceleration. I need to get a bedliner sprayed or do it myself since its starting to get kind of scratched up. And I made headrests including a few extra sets I sold on Ebay to recover some of the cost.

I was just using ours yesterday to drive around picking up trash that blew in over the winter, filling the bed twice (though one fill was an inflatable pool that that was caught up in the brush out back.)

John Fricke
04-12-2009, 2:33 PM
The Side by sides which is the category that Matt's Mule falls into are increasing in popularity. More comfortable when carrying a passenger. Can take a passenger and cargo with ease. Many attachments available. All of the Big named ATV manufacturers are offering them. Kawasaki's mule was the first one out I believe. Even John Deere and Kubota have offerings in this category. In my area the local ATV dealers have test tracks set up that you can test ride the different machines to see what feels right for you.

Marty Weatherup
04-12-2009, 4:37 PM
Dave here's a link to a blog over at LJ's of my machine doing some log loading.

http://lumberjocks.com/mart/blog/7919

Marty

Dave Lehnert
04-12-2009, 8:40 PM
Dave here's a link to a blog over at LJ's of my machine doing some log loading.

http://lumberjocks.com/mart/blog/7919

Marty

Thanks for the info. Logging is what I was looking at an ATV for.

Marty Weatherup
04-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Dave,

I am planning on building a log arch to pull with my machine. I have some acreage with lots of large birch to be removed and am picking up trees locally fairly frequently. If you are handy with a welder, building a log arch would be pretty easy and sure makes moving logs a lot easier.

Marty