PDA

View Full Version : White pine knotty vessel

Jeff Nicol
04-12-2009, 6:04 AM
This vessel is turned from a big knotty section of the trunk and a crotch area. It has lots fo character and beautiful colors and spalting. In one picture you can see the translucence of the sides of the turning. It is about 3/16" thick on the sides. All the resin and sap in the knots lets the light shine through. It is 10" tall and 9 3/4" wide the opening is 4". Thanks for looking and let me know what you think.

Jeff

Toney Robertson
04-12-2009, 6:58 AM
That is some kind of beautiful wood and I really enjoy the form.

Excellent.

Toney

Steve Schlumpf
04-12-2009, 9:03 AM
Jeff - this is some very nice work! Really like the form! You did a great job on finishing - especially considering the grain runs all over the place! Very pretty wood! Being pine and as thin as it is - must be extremely light weight! Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Great looking piece. Nice form and finish.

Rich Boehlke
04-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Very nice, Jeff.
I have been told that pine is not a good wood to turn but your work says otherwise. Do you have any dark secrets for working with pine?

Dewey Torres
04-12-2009, 2:26 PM
Jeff,
This piece appears to have a very slight 3/4" rim at the top. Was that your intention? If so I had to look real hard to see it. I am still amazed at how thin you were able to get such an unstable piece. I would have been afraid it would have exploded. The pic with the light really tells the story.

alex carey
04-12-2009, 2:29 PM
Definitely an impressive piece, most pine is IMO CRAP. This is definitely not. You did a great job on this one, especially for a piece of wood so prone to tearout and breaking. I would have been sweating at 3/16". Great job.

Jeff Nicol
04-12-2009, 5:43 PM
Well guys to tell you the truth there is no secret that I know of. I just turn it to about 1" roughed out then seal it or not, depending on how long it has been setting around the shop or poleshed. If I turn it real fresh it is so wet that it will dry very fast and crack so I have to seal it real good and let it dry. I have a couple of big bowls that are waiting to be finished and they have some real nice spalting in them. So when I go to finish turn them the sharper the better and a very light touch so it does not burnish to much and not tear out. I think the white pine is a little more forgiving than red pine and spruce or some of the other harder pines. I do a lot of shear scraping and when I sand it out use light pressure with the heavier grits so the sanding marks can be sanded out with the proceeding finer grits. This one has 4 or 5 coats of danish oil, antique oil and wipe on poly all mixed together. I sand it last with some Naptha and 400-600 grit wet/dry paper to blend in the sappy areas around the knots. Then go with the finish. I do use some CA in places to keep the knots from cracking and the crotchwood stable. So to sum it up it just takes time and a lot of patience!

Give it a try and you will see that it is not so bad!

Thanks for all your kind words,

Jeff

Brian McInturff
04-12-2009, 8:19 PM
Great looking piece Jeff. How sappy was the wood. I tried a piece of pine once and it was a mess. I'm not sure which pine it was I tried. Love the last pic with the light. Excellent!!

Mike Svoma
04-12-2009, 8:40 PM
I stopped by at Jeff's yesterday and saw this piece. It is a truly amazing piece of pine. It is even better looking than the pictures indicate. Smooth as a babies' butt, too. Nice job Jeff.

curtis rosche
04-12-2009, 8:41 PM
are you sure that it is not Norfolk Island pine? that what it looks like

alex carey
04-13-2009, 1:41 AM
nahhh, Norfolk Pine isn't all over the place. Norfolk pine always has several piths and is much more red.

Jim Koepke
04-13-2009, 3:00 AM
Very nice, hope mine come out half as nice someday.

jim

Jarrod McGehee
04-13-2009, 3:36 AM
Dang Jeff that sure is nice! lovely work. I like the last pic

Jeff Nicol
04-13-2009, 11:50 AM
are you sure that it is not Norfolk Island pine? that what it looks like
Curtis, I have been sawing and using lumber longer than you have been alive! I do believe that I know what I am talking about. Norfolk Island pine does not grow wild in northern Wisconsin or for that matter pretty much anywhere in the Mainland USA! Norfolk island pine was planted on most of the islands in the Pacific so that ship captains would have tall large trees for the masts of there large sailing ships. That is why you find it on the islands of Hawaii and other "TROPICAL" locations. I think you should do some research on lots of things befor you try to challenge me or any other "OLDER AND MUCH WISER" members of this forum. When they made the saying "WET BEHIND THE EARS" and "GREENHORN" you fit right in the catagory!

Don't take offense to this message but someone had to say it! But you have a lot to learn!!!!

Jeff

curtis rosche
04-13-2009, 12:22 PM
ok ok. i was just wondering. i wasnt questioning anyone i was just saying it looks really cool. ive never seen pine that looks that good

Jeff Nicol
04-13-2009, 6:31 PM
ok ok. i was just wondering. i wasnt questioning anyone i was just saying it looks really cool. ive never seen pine that looks that good
Curtis, You are forgiven, but make sure you do some research on your own. There are so many thing on the internet that have all the answers to all the questions you have. I love to find the answers myself instead of always relying on others to do it for me. If you notice a ask very few questions, but I will be the first to ask when I can't figure it out on my own. Like I have said before experience is the best teacher, getting your hands in the dirt and making mistakes is what makes learning fun!

On the white pine, it will spalt and get very nice gray and red and even green/blue colors in it if you leave it lay around long enough. The guys who turn the Norfolk Island pine leave it on the ground under tarps in the shade to speed up the spalting process. In the warm climates with all the humidity it is a perfect combination for the spalting to occur. Give it a try with some pine in your area, it won't take long for it to get the gray streaks in it. Have fun and us old guys have worked hard to get all this knowlege so we can share it with the up and comers like you!

Thanks and keep on giving 110%

Jeff