PDA

View Full Version : Teething Problems

Ian Wilson (AUST)
04-12-2009, 5:35 AM
I have engraved my first piece and it looks great!!!!:):):):)

ALTHOUGH
In Corel Draw x4 I have the page set up the same as my Laser bed ie Landscape 24 x 12.
When I hit FILE> Print how do I change the settings here to Landscape 24 x 12 and reposition from "top left corner" as my default settings.

In Corel I had an image tucked up tight in top left corner and it printed more to the top middle of the piece.

In Print review> printable area
The printable area did not marry up with Corel.

Any help appreciated.
Regards Ian

Mike Null
04-12-2009, 6:23 AM
Ian

Take a look at this tutorial by SMC member Roy Brewer.http://www.engravingconcepts.com/swf_files/CorelDefaults.html

James Stokes
04-12-2009, 8:28 AM
I have never understood why people set the page size for the size of the laser bed. When I set something up I set it for the size it actually is. For me it makes placement of objects so much easier. You do have to adjust the size in the property manager each time but that is not a big deal you are in it setting the power and speed anyway.

Mitchell Andrus
04-12-2009, 9:12 AM
I have never understood why people set the page size for the size of the laser bed.

That's how I do it. Sometimes, the material I'm using for the field is larger than the bed of the laser and I need to make a cut in the center of the bed in order to allow the material to miss the other 'stuff' in the cabinet.

Seeing the table in Corel makes it easy to align at the 8" mark.

Also, I make furniture so setting up a series of cuts in a sheet of plywood or large board is easier if you can see the whole sheet or board at one time. Same (for me at least) on the computer screen. It's a matter of what you're used to.

In the example below, I'd need to finish the cut to the right by hand, but it's just veneer.

Dave Johnson29
04-12-2009, 9:40 AM
I have never understood why people set the page size for the size of the laser bed.

Hi James,

If I don't have the page set to the laser bed size, it locates the lower-left X-Y, 0,0 relative to the center of of the swept area of the bed.

For instance, my bed is 11 x 17 with 0,0 at the lower left. If I set a page of 4 x 4 it will begin burning at 3.5 x 6.5 on the bed.

Some things are immutable. :(

Mike Null
04-12-2009, 9:41 AM
James

I set my default table size to 12x25" because much of what I do involves quarter sheet material. It's faster, easier and more economical for me to do it that way. More economical because I set my engraving to use up unused material where ever it is on the sheet.

Stephen Beckham
04-12-2009, 11:08 AM
James,

I set it in both Corel and the Print Driver as default 12X24. I also set my speed/power to the most common setting I use.

Now for every similar job there is no extra typing when setting up printing. I set my target up WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) on the screen. Never have to question size or location when printing. It's a major time saver when you are doing multiples that are different sizes.

And similar to what Mike said, you have a really good idea of what is where on the table when doing a couple different items or cutting new holes in a used sheet.

Bill Cunningham
04-14-2009, 8:11 PM
I have engraved my first piece and it looks great!!!!:):):):)

ALTHOUGH
In Corel Draw x4 I have the page set up the same as my Laser bed ie Landscape 24 x 12.
When I hit FILE> Print how do I change the settings here to Landscape 24 x 12 and reposition from "top left corner" as my default settings.

In Corel I had an image tucked up tight in top left corner and it printed more to the top middle of the piece.

In Print review> printable area
The printable area did not marry up with Corel.

Any help appreciated.
Regards Ian

Ian; make sure you have also set your driver to the same page size.. This becomes obvious if you click 'print preview' before sending it to the laser.. If somethings amiss, it will show up there..