PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Finishing Cabinet Project

Gordon Rowe
04-11-2009, 9:37 PM
I posted this elsewhere and was advised to try it in the finishing sub forum. I'm building a first cabinet project - a small wet bar set off in an alcove in my basement living room. So far, I've constructed two upper corner cabinets and the lower carcass and installed the counter top and plumbing. This is done in 3/4 birch ply with stick on birch edge banding. I finished the inside in clear Varathane.

So far, it's gone well but I'm having trouble deciding on the doors and finish. At my level of skill, the doors need to be simple construction. I'm leaning to a Shaker style. I tried a piece of Bubinga ply veneer finished with water based clear Varathane as a potential panel and it blends very well in the area. But what wood blends well with Bubinga? I tried a piece of cherry and it doesn't look right...to my eye, anyway. I was thinking of using aspen and painting it to blend? I’m thinking this may be the easier solution as I also have to blend the one side showing of the upper birch cabinets as well.

I’m really hoping I can get some advice from the experts on this forum.