PDA

View Full Version : threaded bottle stoppers

Gary Simmons
04-11-2009, 9:36 PM
Turned my first threaded bottle stopper. Turn came out great, however had difficulty screwing the chrome bottle stopper into the pink Ivory. Is there a secret to help make the process easier...

thanks Gary

Ron McKinley
04-11-2009, 9:53 PM
Use Ruth Niles' threading mandrel. I've had one about 10 days now and it's really fun to use. Go to her website: http://www.torne-lignum.com/stoppers.html#Introductory_Special There is reference to a YouTube video that makes it really easy.

It provides a really firm and secure hold on the workpiece and gives you access to the whole piece. Try it, you'll like it!

I have no financial interest in this product. I'm just a really satisfied user.....Ron

Mike Svoma
04-11-2009, 9:53 PM
Pictures....pictures....pictures.:):):)

Steve Schlumpf
04-11-2009, 10:25 PM
I have to agree with Mike! Pictures of a pink ivory/chrome bottle stopper would be really nice to see! Hint - Hint!

Bob Hallowell
04-11-2009, 10:38 PM
If it is one of the cheaper crome topper's then pull back the long rubber seal abit and you will find a hole in there. stick an allen wrench or somthing simalar in there. This will give you a much better grip and you should be able to screw it on.

Bob

Belton Garvin
04-11-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm not sure from your post so I'll just start from scratch.

I drill mine with a 5/16" drill bit and tap with a 3/8x16 bottom tap. Sometimes just running the tap through again cleans up the threads enough to screw on easier. The other way to help is to apply a small amount of beeswax to the threads.

I use mostly Ruth Niles stoppers and have very few problems with these methods. I don't have her mandrel yet but will probably get one with my next order. I am currently using a generic woodcraft stopper mandrel. I made a small wooden washer to fit between the mandrel and blank that is the same diameter as the Ruth Niles Stoppers and it works pretty well for me.

You won't find much better price vs quality than Ruth Niles stainless stoppers. I also really like the low profile look they offer over the normal stopper.

Sorry for the rambling...I've been turning a few stoppers lately.

Bear

Gordon Seto
04-12-2009, 4:00 AM
Use some wax on the thread of a bolt and screw it in and out couple times. A bolt and wrench would give you more leverage.
The Renaissance Wax has no solvent smell.

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2009, 10:44 AM
I do like Belton. I drill and tap with 3/8" X 16 tpi.

Roger Wilson
04-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Pictures....pictures....pictures.:):):)

http://www.torne-lignum.com/bottle-stoppers/IMG_0330.JPG

and the video link to Laguna follows. Select "Bottle Stoppers Project" on the right. It says "part 3" but appears to show the whole thing.

http://www.lagunatools.com/videos.aspx

Jake Helmboldt
04-12-2009, 12:00 PM
I tap like others, but it depends upon whose stoppers you are using. The Woodcraft chrome stoppers and some others are 6mm I believe, whereas the Ruth Niles stoppers and others are 3/8" which is close to 9mm. I drill, then tap and thread it on with just a bit of glue on the threads.

While I like Ruth's service, I have found her stoppers to have a design flaw; the three o-rings are too disparate in size so they don't fit well in about 1/3 of the bottles I have used. I haven't tried the Arizona Sillouhette stoppers, but the rubber seal appears to be continuous and tapered, likley resulting in a positive seal on a greater variety of bottles. Can anyone who has used the AS stoppers confirm or refute that assumption?

Dewey Torres
04-12-2009, 2:28 PM
Man Gary,
I was hoping to see some pics when I logged in today.

Please:o

Gary Simmons
04-13-2009, 9:31 PM
Here are the pics you were looking for... thanks for the support. As I said my first stopper and I used Pink Ivory. I was very happy with it. thanks for the advise...

Jarrod McGehee
04-14-2009, 3:03 AM
nice stopper but you should use a white sheet or something white so you can show off the wood better

Dewey Torres
04-14-2009, 3:05 AM
Here are the pics you were looking for... thanks for the support. As I said my first stopper and I used Pink Ivory. I was very happy with it. thanks for the advise...

Man is she a beauty!

Love the color. Good luck with the stopper mandrel.

Frank Kobilsek
04-14-2009, 9:07 AM
Jake

I have used both and I believe the the Niles stoppers fit better in a wider range of bottles. The Stainless does not corrode like the chrome stopper bodies do either. Lastly I think the Niles units fit best to the wood therefore creating a much better looking product. My two cents worth. Try the others to form your own opinion.

Frank

Steve Schlumpf
04-14-2009, 9:27 AM
I've not turned a stopper before but based on a lot of the comments it seems the stainless stoppers from Ruth Niles are the way to go.

I called Ruth last night (great Lady to talk to) and ordered the starter kit. The mandrel won't be available until this coming Friday - so some time next week I should get to turn one of these things and see for myself how much fun they are. I will post once I have something to show!

Richard Madison
04-14-2009, 9:28 AM
Gary,
Drill your hole slightly oversize from the usual tap drill size for metal. I think 23/64 is the size for 3/8-16 threads. It's on Ruth's web site. The hole will "seem" too loose. Drill the hole a bit deeper than actually needed, and use minimum amount of glue. You are compressing the air inside the hole when assembling topper and stopper.

Maylon Harvey
04-14-2009, 9:38 PM
Steve,
And when are you odering your pen mandrel? :D That must be next.;)