04-11-2009, 8:26 PM
What are your methods for getting this darn stuff off the fingers?:o

Hope there is a secret out there I didn't know

Gary Herrmann
04-11-2009, 8:34 PM
nail polish remover - which is acetone

Dave Carey
04-11-2009, 8:34 PM
Acetone. Fingernail polish remover but check to make sure it has acetone in it. Or just wear and tear (with a little skin as well!)

Mike Minto
04-11-2009, 8:52 PM
i don't recommend it, but i use my edge sander - gentle pressure removing the glue while still retaining the fingerprints. mike

Curt Fuller
04-11-2009, 8:53 PM
With or without the skin?

Acetone removes it, a little on a paper towel.

mike fuson
04-11-2009, 9:05 PM
It will wear off in a day.

Dewey Torres
04-11-2009, 9:12 PM
Buy some of this or any of the products like it and keep it handy when you work with the stuff:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6282

Reed Gray
04-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Most of it will be gone before bed time. I figure it is my oily skin, but after a few hours, and a good swim or hand washing the dishes, that which isn't gone peels off pretty easily.
robo hippy

Steve Schlumpf
04-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Nail polish remover, hand lotion, vaseline or as Reed suggests - do the dishes and the stuff will peal off.

Dewey Torres
04-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Doing the dishes ????

Which is worse? I might live with the CA on my fingers first;)

Jeff Nicol
04-12-2009, 6:08 AM
It looks like Dewey is afraid of the dishes! I do them about 3 times a year just for posterity! I use the sand paper method to ease the tight feeling on the finger. I just lay a piece of 220 grit on the bench and rub my fingere on it until it feels normal and away I go. No reason to put all kinds of chemicals on besides the CA.

Stick with it!!! HA HA!!

Jeff

Steve Trauthwein
04-12-2009, 7:48 AM
I get the glue on my fingers all of the time. Actually just a nice thick coating on my right index finger. My wife has a pumice stone in the shower for her feet. It works great for taking of super glue. I guess I should break down and buy one for the shop. Nah, its more fun to use hers.

Regards, Steve

Rex Guinn
04-12-2009, 8:18 AM
Paul;
I had the same problem, now before I use it I put on a rubber glove (Nitrile) Harbor Freight box of 100.

Hilel Salomon
04-12-2009, 8:24 AM
I'm with rex, I use those nitrile gloves w/when they're on sale (at Harbor Freight) run about 6cents each. I buy about ten boxes a year as I also use them for finishing and around the house when I don't want to spend an hour getting stuff off my hands and fingernails. If you're not near an HF, and you have a friend, family member etc. who is a nurse, doctor etc., you can ask them for a handful of the gloves. Also, I have debonder on hand in case the glue gets on something else. In this case, an ounce of prevention is worth lots of time in the cure.Hilel.

Brian Effinger
04-12-2009, 9:55 AM
Nail polish remover, hand lotion, vaseline or as Reed suggests - do the dishes and the stuff will peal off.

I've used vaseline and it works wonders.

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2009, 10:27 AM
I use nitrile gloves. My wife is a CNA so I get them at cost about 3 cents each. I buy a case of 1200 gloves for $36. I use them for finish, sticking my hands in DNA, when I apply CA, etc. I also keep some debonder in the shop which works pretty well.

Chris Barnett
04-13-2009, 6:19 PM
Meat cleaver or hot shower followed by a hot toddy and copious rest. I use acetone frequently to remove the glue, but hear it might damage skin. Prevention is probably the best means by using cheap Harbor Freight 50 for $7.00 gloves.

Jonathan Spool
04-13-2009, 6:49 PM
If its thick I just peal it off. If its thin, I'll use acetone.
Better question is how to get a dried spot off your clothes without ruining the cloth??

brian lundy
04-13-2009, 6:49 PM
Rub sawdust on the glue before it dries, works like a charm. The glue has a bigger affinity to the cellulose(I think) in the wood than it does for your skin. Learned this tip at a woodwoking show.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-13-2009, 7:31 PM
OK all of those work, but how do you get the damn bottle off your fingers?

LOL

Allen Neighbors
04-13-2009, 7:32 PM
Elbow grease, Acetone on a rag. Paper towels wear out before the CA. :D

Jeff Brockett
04-13-2009, 7:54 PM
I apply a product called second skin to my hands before I use CA glue or any finishes. This stuff seals the skin pores and doesn't allow anything to stick to your skin. Before I began using this I used acetone or went to the strip sander and buffed it off - somehow that method didn't impress my wife.

Bob Vallaster
04-13-2009, 9:06 PM
+1 on the product Dewey Torres recommended.
I keep it within arm's reach at the lathe because someone once shared this bit of wisdom: "Unless you can drag the lathe to where you store it...you ought to store it where you use the super-glue."
It has earned its keep. LOML was able to rescue a neighbor who called for help with an unwanted attachment to an antique teacup she (neighbor) had been repairing.

BobV

Burt Alcantara
04-14-2009, 11:24 AM
I peel CA off with my teeth while watching TV. Cheap.

Burt the miser

Tim Cleveland
04-14-2009, 10:31 PM
I'd just leave it on and forget about it. One of two things will happen 1)it will wear off in a day or two 2) you will eventually build up a thick enough coat that it will peel off easily.

Tim

Kirk Miller
04-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Leave it on..............Chicks Dig it