PDA

View Full Version : A Creeker Comes To Visit **PIC**

Ken Salisbury
07-29-2004, 11:03 AM
I had the pleasure of meeting Waymon Campbell and his lovely wife Fran yesterday. They stopped by The Old Rebel Workshop on their way from Texas to Bill Grumbine's BBQ.

Fran was inquisitive about the pen making process so I made her a Bethlehem Olivewood pen while they were here. I told her how ladies made expert pen turners :) and maybe she should get Waymon to buy her a lathe :). We basically talked FPP and woodworking in general for the rest of their visit. http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/waymon1.jpg

Although the visit was relatively short I sure did enjoy meeting these fine folks. It was nice of them to stop by. They were also kind enough to bring me a "really nice" Afzelia Burl bowl blank. I sure hope I can get around to getting it turned in the next week or so. I also plan on getting a few pens from it after rounding out the blank.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/waymon02.jpg

John Miliunas
07-29-2004, 12:02 PM
That is just too neat, Ken! My "dealings" with Waymon have strictly been "long distance", but I have found him to be a most sincere and personable type guy. :) It appears my opinion has been justified on numerous levels! :) Sounds like you folks had a great visit and that's one purty lookin' chunk of wood 'ya got there! Can't wait to see what the Rebel comes up with on that one! :D (BTW, you sure don't look that "tough" to be a "Rebel"!!! :eek: ) :cool:

Ken Wright
07-29-2004, 12:31 PM
That is some nice piece of wood ... any idea where it comes from?? Really nice gift.

Ken Salisbury
07-29-2004, 12:39 PM
That is some nice piece of wood ... any idea where it comes from?? Really nice gift.
Ken - It is an African species:

http://www.iswonline.com/wwp/wom/afzelia.shtml

Donnie Raines
07-29-2004, 12:41 PM
I thought that was George Carlton........... :D :D :D

Lee Schierer
07-29-2004, 12:50 PM
Visits from Creekers are always fun. I'll look forward to meeting them at 5 Barns. I hope he knows that he has to bring enough wood to share at the picnic as well :D

Kurt Aebi
07-29-2004, 2:35 PM
Waymon,

After the 5-barns thing, you should make the trip through New England and meet us "Creekers" in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. After traveling through Texas, it will seem like a day trip to ya

Ken Wright
07-29-2004, 4:54 PM
I"ll trade you two truck loads of SLLYP and 3 alligators for that chunk of wood.

Waymon Campbell
07-30-2004, 9:13 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting Waymon Campbell and his lovely wife Fran yesterday. They stopped by The Old Rebel Workshop on their way from Texas to Bill Grumbine's BBQ.

Ken - LOML and I sure enjoyed our visit with you. I am back at the hotel after Day 1 of Five Barns. Bill Grumbine and his family sure are some nice folks. I have had a super time talking with the other 'Creekers there. I can't wait to see what you turn out of that burl.

FYI - I gifted Bill Grumbine with an even larger chunk, along with some spalted tamarino.

Waymon Campbell
08-02-2004, 7:23 PM
Here's a pic I shot showing "the Master" telling LOML about the finer points of turning a pen.