PDA

View Full Version : Tool rack (pics)

Tim Null
04-11-2009, 8:26 PM
Been thinking of doing a tool cabinet with doors, but I really didn't have the room. So I opted for a tool board of sorts.

I used baltic birch, 1/2" for the back. Edged in walnut. Each tool holder is custom made from maple and walnut.

It is so nice to have all of these tools at my fingertips, right above my bench.

TimN

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/tnull5/194.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/tnull5/195.jpg

Greg Crawford
04-11-2009, 8:37 PM
Thanks Tim. Nice looking solution you've got. I've got to update my tool storage, and you've given me some great ideas.

Von Bickley
04-11-2009, 8:42 PM
Tim,

Looks good..... It's always good to have your tools organized. :)

Tim Null
04-11-2009, 8:46 PM
Thanks,

I kept agonizing over making the perfect cabinet or rack. I finally realized that I just needed to get something up on the wall that looked nice and was functional.

glenn bradley
04-11-2009, 9:23 PM
Lookin' good Tim. I think you did the right thing. When I started out I arranged my tools like a catalog or something; ALL chisels here, ALL saws there, ALL screwdirvers there. . . . As my shop morphs, I have started gathering tools that I use most in a given area. Having those items at your fingertips will really be great and sure beats waiting until the "perfect" setup comes to mind ;-)

Bruce Page
04-11-2009, 9:31 PM
Looks good Tim. You have a lotta stuff in a small area.

I like your little brass hammer.

keith ouellette
04-11-2009, 9:40 PM
Looks functional and classy.

Greg Hines, MD
04-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Very nice. I also like your workbench.

Doc

Tim Null
04-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks,

Hard maple, walnut drawer fronts. First real project, took about 4-5 months.

Nothing like hand cutting 16 mortices through 3 1/2" hard maple!

I am finally ok with nicks and scratches from use. At first I didn't pound on it, I used a beat up assembly table. Kind of defeats the purpose though. LOL!

Charles Shenk
04-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Do you use chisels in your woodworking? I don't see them on the rack is why I ask.

Bob Genovesi
04-12-2009, 7:18 AM
Tim,

That looks great! It's simple, efficient, and a hell of a lot less expensive than building a cabinet with doors...... Ya know, I could use some of those tools!! :D

Mark Norman
04-12-2009, 7:31 AM
Good job Tim. At a glance you can tell all is accounted for!

Richard Wagner
04-12-2009, 9:23 AM
This looks to be very effective and well organized. Congrats.

The only problem I would have is a large assortment of wrenches that are open end on both ends. In fact, I have the problem. That is why they are all in a tool box. What a mess.

Tim Null
04-12-2009, 1:28 PM
Yes I do use chisels, but not all that often after building the bench. They are in the second drawer in the bench, very easy to get at.

I thought about what to put on the wall and what to put in drawers, I have 6 that are readily accessible.

The chisels came in a nice box with holders. I took off the top and it makes a great drawer holder for them.

Tim Null
04-12-2009, 1:35 PM
Part of the decision is what would easily go up on the wall. Open ended wrenches are a problem. I have a Craftsman chest that I keep a lot of mechanic tools in.

I also put up magnetic strips around the shop for other tools. I have drill bits in several spots around the shop and try to keep the specific tools (like router accessories, etc) near each tool.

Hate having to walk across the shop to get a tool and then walk back to use it.

Rick Lucrezi
04-12-2009, 6:41 PM
I cant tell but it looks like your windows are bays? Thats a nice touch

Stephen Edwards
04-12-2009, 9:35 PM
Very nice! I doubt that my shop will ever look that organized and neat.

Tim Null
04-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Sort of. The wall of the garage is fairly thick, so there is a ledge that is about 15". From the outside there is no protrusion.