PDA

View Full Version : lie-nielsen pricing

Mark Bolton
04-11-2009, 7:31 PM
I was reading the last copy of Woodwork mag again (I miss that mag) and always noticed an ad in the back showing a LN low angle jack with a "special" price of 210.00.

I know the LN pricing is generally fixed (not in the negative) but wondered if any/many come across dealers discounting very often?

I have always wanted this plane and of course 35.00 aint gonna stop me when I am ready to buy it but was curious more than anything.

Mark

Bruce Page
04-11-2009, 7:38 PM
Woodcraft will have specials on the LN’s from time to time.

Jeff Willard
04-11-2009, 7:43 PM
I have never noticed any dealer with pricing below L-N's. I have, on one occasion, noticed a dealer-who shall remain nameless, with pricing above that which L-N quotes on their website.

Eric Brown
04-11-2009, 8:20 PM
Fine Tool Journal sells L-N at the same price as L-N, but has free shipping. Good to deal with also. In addition FTJ sells some of the L-N limited edition tools.

Eric

Mark Bolton
04-11-2009, 8:44 PM
Fine Tool Journal sells L-N at the same price as L-N, but has free shipping. Good to deal with also. In addition FTJ sells some of the L-N limited edition tools.

Eric

FTJ was the ad with the "special price" back in December for 210 for the low angle jack. I am not positive but I think the price was still 245 back then.

Mark

glenn bradley
04-11-2009, 9:25 PM
I also have seen LN on sale at Woodcraft but only certain items and not often.

Charles Shenk
04-11-2009, 9:48 PM
I thought LN changed their policy in 2009 so that there was no more discounting? Perhaps only on items that are not moving? Who knows.

Scot Ferraro
04-12-2009, 4:21 PM
Lie-Nielsen used to give 10% discount at shows and if you visited their showroom and a lot of different dealers used to sell planes for 10% off of list price. This has come to an end, though. They are now giving videos away if you spend a certain amount.

Scot

Charles Shenk
04-12-2009, 6:06 PM
If you do sales all the time, all people do is wait for the sale. Quality doesn't need to be discounted IMHO.

Ben Davis
04-12-2009, 7:21 PM
I agree with you Charles. They're really not making up the "heirloom quality" part.

Larry Edgerton
04-13-2009, 9:22 AM
I have an original low angle jack, and it is my favorite, but if I didn't have one I would order yesterday.

I just sent Lie Neilson a unique scraper holder I have had for 30 years and they may do a replica of it. Hope I can get the first one....

Lie Neilson tools are hand crafted, not mass produced to a price point, and as such should be priced as they are. I do not discount my work and I would expect Tom and the crew at the toolworks to be paid according to their skill. I am glad they are there doing what they do.