PDA

View Full Version : New member Hello

Scott Hackler
04-11-2009, 7:21 PM
Hello all,

I recently rejoined the turning hobby after 25+ years. My dad had a old delta that I used to mess around on and I finally decided that now (at age 39) I needed to add a lathe to my future wood shop. I researched this and other forums and decided upon a Nova 1624. So far I really like it and I have been experimenting quite a bit on bowl shapes.

I also bought a set of 6 Robert Sorby chisels and after a little hard lesson learned from over extending into a bowl, I now have a set of 5 chisels! Yeah ouch. Oh well, the hand is healing and so is my pride. The chisel is a ruined. PS... I wadded up a napkin in my hand and finished the bowl with another tool. :)

I am very impressed with a lot of your guys' projects and look forward to having a completed bowl or something to show.

Thanks

Scott

Steve Schlumpf
04-11-2009, 7:24 PM
Scott - Welcome to the Creek! Looking forward to seeing some of your work real soon!

alex carey
04-11-2009, 7:44 PM
Welcome to the forum, keep in mind we love pics, even if its a bloody hand.

Don Carter
04-11-2009, 7:46 PM
Welcome Scott. I own the same lathe and have really enjoyed it. Stay safe and btw...we like lots of pics.;)

Rich Boehlke
04-11-2009, 7:50 PM
Welcome, Scott.
You have landed in a great place with lots of great folks.

Mike Stephens
04-11-2009, 8:03 PM
Welcome Scott. SMC is definitely a great forum with lots of sharpies. All of which are very willing to share there knowledge and experience.

Mike

Bernie Weishapl
04-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Welcome Scott. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge here. Look forward to seeing some of your turnings.

Alan Trout
04-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Great to see you here Scott. Good luck and don't feel bad about your little incident. We have all made mistakes and some lessons are harder learned than others. It will make you think before you act. I speak from experience as my middle finger on my right hand got in a fight with a jointer and lost about 1/2" off that finger. Believe me safety comes first.

Again Welcome,

Alan

Jeff Nicol
04-12-2009, 5:53 PM
Scott, Glad to have you on SMC, this place is filled with some of the most knowledgeble woodturners and woodworkers anywhere! We are always glad to offer help or information when ever we can. You will have more BooBoo's and you will learn from them all, I got a 28 stitches lesson on my head from a flying bowl so don't feel alone!

Soon we will be seeing your work here in pictures!

Jeff

Dewey Torres
04-12-2009, 9:02 PM
Welcome to the creek. Most of the folks who answered above are real pros! They won't way that but I will! You came to the right place...oh and heed the advice on pics!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-12-2009, 9:37 PM
Welcome to the Creek Scott! Wade right in the water's fine!

Steve Mawson
04-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Welcome, as many said nice folks with lots of turning knowledge. Envy your new lathe. Just bought a new house so guess new lathe gets to stay on the wish list for some time.

tim mathis
04-12-2009, 11:18 PM
welcome scott and be careful.
tim