PDA

View Full Version : Extension Wing GLOAT.... ?

Bill Huber
04-11-2009, 7:08 PM
I have had my Jet for awhile now and when I got it, it had the stamped steel extensions. I was not very happy with them but I just did not want to spend the $160 to $200 of nice case iron one.
I then found an old Craftsman table saw with webbed extensions for $50, took the extension off and installed them on the Jet. Yes they were finger pinches and with a great idea from Bruce Page I installed some hard board and it worked out very well and I was happy with that.

I was talking to the guy at work in the maintenance group and he said he thought he had some that came with his saw that he never use. He is a welder / metal worker and I find out he makes custom cabinets on the side. All I had to do was drive up and get them, if we could find them.

I went by today and he has a big Delta cabinet saw and steel tables all around the sides and back of the saw. He can put a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood on it and still have room to spare.

So we dug though some stuff and there they were, two 10 inch heavy cast iron extensions. still wrapped in waxed paper. They only had 3 large holes in them but that was no problem, just drilled 4 holes in each and bolted them up. I did loose 4 inches from the width of the saw but that really is on problem.

They are really nice and I did not have to shim them at all and they are flat as can be.
So $200 worth of extensions for a 10 mile round trip I think is a gloat......

Jim O'Dell
04-11-2009, 7:17 PM
Way cool! Nice co-worker too! Jim.

Charles Shenk
04-11-2009, 7:19 PM
Good going! :D

Bill Huber
04-11-2009, 7:49 PM
Way cool! Nice co-worker too! Jim.

That he is, you should see his saw, its like a dance floor. The table runs out the back about 8 feet and 5 feet to each side. He build them all himself out of metal and the tops are like 1/8 or 3/16 plate.

Bruce Page
04-11-2009, 7:55 PM
Now you're cooking!

You could bolt the old wings on to the new wings and really have a big top! :D

Bill Huber
04-11-2009, 8:06 PM
Now you're cooking!

You could bolt the old wings on to the new wings and really have a big top! :D

Only problem is then I wouldn't have any run to work around it. 12x16 is not a lot of space......:D

I am going to put the old ones to good use, will one of them, is going to the friend that bought my old saw, it only had one on the right and a home made one on the left.

keith ouellette
04-11-2009, 9:55 PM
Nice looking wings Bill. I thought your old solution was really good too but I bet these are at least a little flatter. Thats one great co worker.

George Sanders
04-12-2009, 9:34 AM
Nice upgrade. Bigger is always better with a tablesaw top.

Jim Becker
04-12-2009, 9:43 AM
Definitely a gloat! And you'll love the extra mass that those extensions bring to your saw. If you want to regain that 4" or a little more, you can just fabricate a panel that bolts to the right-side cast iron extension and fence rails, too.

Bill Huber
04-14-2009, 1:00 AM
Definitely a gloat! And you'll love the extra mass that those extensions bring to your saw. If you want to regain that 4" or a little more, you can just fabricate a panel that bolts to the right-side cast iron extension and fence rails, too.

I was not really sure I would see any difference, everyone tells me that the more mass you have the less vibration you will have.

I got to use the saw today and I can sure tell the difference, it is much smoother, just no vibration at all, a penny on edge and it just set there.

I really don't think I will miss the 4 iches, anything longer then 18 inches I use the sled, sheet stock I use skill saw and longer boards I use the miter saw.