PDA

View Full Version : Raondom Orbit Sander or 1/4 Sheet Sander ?

Jeremy Polk
04-11-2009, 7:04 PM
I am in the market for a new sander and I am not sure which type or brand to buy. The most popular on Amazon is the Porter-Cable 343K. Is this an ok sander, or is it just the least expensive name brand? And then there are the 1/4 sheet "finish" sanders. Does this type do basically the same thing, or is there a need for both types? To much to think about, I get so confused. I just want a good sander for my money, that does a good job, and will last a while. Any thoughts ?:confused:

Chris Kennedy
04-11-2009, 7:17 PM
Go for a random orbit sander. Ever since I bought mine, I have barely used my 1/4 sheet. I have a 5" Porter Cable (no notion of which model), but it is very good.

Cheers,

Chris

Stephen Edwards
04-11-2009, 7:21 PM
Another vote for the ROS here. Like Chris, I've hardly touched my sheet sander since getting the ROS. Mine is a Dewalt 5" and I'm perfectly satisfied with it. I don't know how I got by all those years without one!

Russ Boyd
04-11-2009, 7:25 PM
I agree with the guys. ROS is the most versatile of sanders. I personally have 2 ridgids and a porter cable. I LOVE the ridgids mostly because the dust bag is a screw on type and actually stays on. It works extremely well for me and is only $60 for the smaller one. I'm going to get one of the bigger ones ($99?) soon. Russ

Brian Kent
04-11-2009, 7:27 PM
Very happy with the Bosch ROS. I don't use the 1/4 sheet anymore.

Bruce Page
04-11-2009, 7:27 PM
Another vote for the ROS. The ONLY time I use my 1/4 sheet is when I need to get into a corner.

Richard M. Wolfe
04-11-2009, 7:32 PM
Another vote for the ROS. I have (and use) a 1/4 sheet sander, but only for specialized situations like sanding a sharp edge or getting into a corner.

Jeremy Polk
04-11-2009, 7:32 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. ROS it is.