PDA

View Full Version : Finish Question.

Joe Tonich
03-18-2003, 8:04 PM
I applied Velvit Oil yesterday on the cradle I'm making and was just going to wax it but it doesn't shine enough for him. What kind of finish could I use, and can I apply it in high humidity? I'll be applying it in the garage but it's supposed to rain for the next few days. Any and all advice is appreciated. Finishing is not my strong suit:(

Joe

Steve Schoene
03-18-2003, 8:41 PM
I'm not totally sure, but I suspect that Velvit Oil is a varnish oil combination. Regardless of the instructions, one coat is not going to come anywhere close to building a glossy finish.

You might try wiping another coat over your first coat. (Yeah, I saw the one coat instruction on the web site, but that it just to trap people into buying it by making them think it works in just one coat.) If after a second coat, you still don't think you are closer to the gloss you want, you should consider a finish with more varnish. If you like the wiping program, I would get a good varnish, such as McClosky Heirloom, or Commonwealth Quick Rubbing or Ronan Quick Rubbing or Pratt and Lambert no. 38, thin it with a little naptha--perhaps 20% or even less, and wipe on several an even coats. These will also provide more protection than an oil/varnish. Of course once you start to build a film, you tend to collect dust, etc. that calls for rubbing out. Too get a shiny satin rub out the little nibs with fine (0000) steel wool and paste wax, rubbing with the grain. Then, polish the wax to a soft glow.