PDA

View Full Version : Is this Forrest Blade used?

Rob Price
04-11-2009, 2:08 PM
I just bought this blade on Amazon as new. It's the WWII full kerf.

The ink on the blade seems real faded, part of the II is almost completely gone. Plus, I swear it looks like it's been bolted onto an arbor before. Is that part of the manufacturing process?

There's no sawdust on the thing or anything, the teeth came covered in the protective gel, and as far as I can tell the teeth don't look chipped or used, they are plenty thick, way more carbide than my freud blades.

I'm probably just being paraniod, but I thought the price was right, $76, maybe too right? I would expect the lettering to be dark and crisp on a new blade.

Mike Henderson
04-11-2009, 2:12 PM
Contact Forrest and they can tell you what a blade is supposed to look like when it leaves the factory.

But if the teeth look new, I'd probably just keep it and not worry about the light logo.

Mike

scott spencer
04-11-2009, 3:07 PM
Rob - Forrest's lettering and overall appearance are typically a bit "industrial". It's hard to tell from the pics but it didn't look used to me. The teeth would show some residue unless it had been meticulously cleaned, and even then, if it'd been used for more than a brief test cut the signs of use would be fairly noticeable noticeable. If it's the correct blade, I'd use it without hesitation.

James Harrison
04-11-2009, 3:49 PM
The picture looks just like the one I bought 5 months ago and have used constantly. It is a fine blade for me.

jim sauterer
04-11-2009, 4:27 PM
i bought one two years ago looked the same a bit faded.works great.

Jim O'Dell
04-11-2009, 6:09 PM
I've got a TK 24 tooth WWII I got some months back from Amazon when they went down to 52 or 52 bucks that I haven't used yet. The E in Woodworker is faded, and some of the letters look like they got sprayed twice, because there is a little ghosting action there, but it looks new. Not anything that worried me when I got it. Sure need some wood to rip so I can try it out!! :rolleyes: Jim.

Rick Fisher
04-11-2009, 6:42 PM
When I bought my WWII a couple months ago, it had a lousy paint job too..
I dont think signage is their specialty.

scott spencer
04-11-2009, 7:04 PM
When I bought my WWII a couple months ago, it had a lousy paint job too..
I dont think signage is their specialty.

Yeah...Forrest's "fit & finish" doesn't earn many points compared to most $100 blades.

In contrast, check out the Freud Fusion and Infinity Super General:

Greg Crawford
04-11-2009, 7:17 PM
Rob,

Every Forrest blade has a serial number. With that number, Forrest should be able to tell you the manufacture date, which should help in answering your question.

Russ Boyd
04-11-2009, 7:21 PM
I had that same issue with my one and only Forrest blade. Purchased at Libra. It WAS used and put back on the shelf (probably by an employee) I'm sure. It was a terrible cut from the get go. I took pics of the cut and also sent the cut pieces to the Forrest guy and had all I could do to get them to at least rebuild it. It still isn't what they're cracked up to be. He made me feel like a cheat and a liar. Never Ever again. Freud is a comparable blade in my opinion and a heck of a lot less expensive.

Jacob Mac
04-11-2009, 8:56 PM
I bought a couple new, and I got one lightly used. None of mine looked like that. Not that my experience is dispositive of anything, but just thought you would like to know.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-11-2009, 9:09 PM
I can't figure out how nice paint makes a blade cut better, but I guess all of mine are rather dreary looking monochromatic things, maybe I ought to look at the Martha Stewart line next time I'm at the borg? ;)

Seriously, if you have doubts, ask Forrest. I have seen a pretty shoddy paint job on one as well, but the one I'm looking at right now looks fine. I've also had really good luck with their customer service.

Rob Price
04-11-2009, 9:32 PM
Thanks for the thoughts. I did notice the serial number. I'll call on Monday And see what they think. I looked at some Freud blades(I have a couple already) and I looked at several head to head tests. The Freud fusion got top notch with the Forrest close behind. The was some concern the higher bevel angle on the Freud would dull faster. Currently the fusion is $99, the Forrest $76, and the next step down Freud is $69. I felt like $7 was worth it.

I have a Freud thin kerf combo that I bought for $40 that served me well. But it needs sharpening, and the carbide is thin, I don't know if spending $20-30 to sharpen it is a good plan or not. It may be a good backup blade.

The teeth on the Forrest are at least double the thickness.

I'll try to get it installed soon and make some cuts. Gotta work the weekend first.

Luis Oliveira
04-12-2009, 3:46 PM
I think any time you see smear in the lettering of a blade it means it was used. They could have used it once just to show someone but never the less used.

I have see this enough times in my local woodcraft store, they will test drive a blade or a bit to a potentail customer and then they put it back as new...

Rob Price
04-12-2009, 4:04 PM
It's not smeared, just faded. The more I look at the teeth- if it is used someone spent some time cleaning it.

I can't wait to try it out. Stuck with family watching golf. Snore.

Byron Trantham
04-12-2009, 4:38 PM
I would really bother me IF I thought the signage was buggered because it was used. Remember, the teeth are 1/2 again as wide as the plate they are welded to. To get to the lettering on the plate would mean a very serious warping of the blade during a cut. :confused: Check with Forrest but I think you are fine.

Frank Trinkle
04-12-2009, 5:23 PM
I own two Forrest WWII's and the printing is not all that clean either.

This is clearly a case where Forrest is much more expert at making blades, than at marketing and printing.

One only has to look at their website. It looks like a classic 90's type business site developed by a high school kid. They would do well to hire a professional web-design firm, and a top notch marketing manager to clean up their site and their visible image to match the quality of their blades.

The web site is truly pathetic and somewhat worthless if you're trying to compare the benefits of one blade against another. That being said, I love my Forrest blades... and will buy more as the need arises.

Steve Rozmiarek
04-12-2009, 5:29 PM
I own two Forrest WWII's and the printing is not all that clean either.

This is clearly a case where Forrest is much more expert at making blades, than at marketing and printing.

One only has to look at their website. It looks like a classic 90's type business site developed by a high school kid. They would do well to hire a professional web-design firm, and a top notch marketing manager to clean up their site and their visible image to match the quality of their blades.

The web site is truly pathetic and somewhat worthless if you're trying to compare the benefits of one blade against another. That being said, I love my Forrest blades... and will buy more as the need arises.

I have to agree with you Frank!

Rob Price
04-12-2009, 7:19 PM
I was able to sneak down to the shop for a bit.

The blade is dead flat. Cuts like a dream. Not perfect, but great. I did a quick rip and crosscut on some 3/4 oak- beautiful cuts. Almost zero resistance on the crosscut, zero tearout.

Tried some walnut ply I have lying around, a very thin and delicate veneer- a little bit of tearout with the stock throat plate, once I cut a zero clearance insert I'm sure this will improve.

Ripped and crosscut some maple as well with similar results to the oak. I can barely see marks on the rip cut, none on the crosscut. Almost as good as my dedicated rip blade.

It's a keeper. Now that I have a flat blade, hopefully I can dial in my saw. The stock saw blade wasn't flat, and all the vibration grooves on my Freud blades were a pain to work with- that and the coating on the blade could skew results.

Pat O'malley
04-12-2009, 11:20 PM
I got mine a couple of months ago in the same shape from Woodcraft. Called Forrest, talked to tech support who checked serial number and gave me the manufactor date, also offered to replaced the blade at no charged. I was satisfied with his awnsers and kept it. Pat