PDA

View Full Version : Marketing Question

Steve Clarkson
04-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Someone was kind enough to buy me an ad in their church bulletin. Now the question I have is....how do I make a copy ready ad???????

I've read that coupons don't work......and that print advertising in general doesn't work.....so the only reason I'm doing this is because it's free. I was planning to simply use my logo, website and phone number.

So how do I take a logo from CorelDraw and export it to Word or some other program that the average person can open and print if I send it via e-mail?

Thanks

Mike Null
04-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Export the logo as a jpeg and attach it to emails or Word documents. Then anybody can open it.

Angus Hines
04-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Send me your logo and info and I'll make you an ad copy in EPS that everyone can use.

3aih @ angushines (dot) com

Dee Gallo
04-11-2009, 10:43 AM
In CorelDraw, there is a "prepare for service bureau" feature (in the FILE menu) which will take your file and collect everything including fonts and make a PDF for the printer...if they have Corel. If not, you can just generate a PDF and everyone can open those.

cheers, dee

Jack Harper
04-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Since you are skeptical on the ads effectiveness. Maybe you should not target a generic ad for your service. How about an ad that promotes one single product designed for the target audience. One example might be custom bookmark for with their personal favorite verse engraved, along with their name. Just a thought.

Steve Clarkson
04-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I figured it would be pretty simple......the File|Publish to PDF was what I needed.....thanks!

Jack, I thought about the single item idea......and I may do that.....I made a few white Corian crosses for First Communion, so I may promote those. But like I said, everything I have read on here said that print advertising doesn't work for laser engraving.....let me know if you think otherwise.

Dee Gallo
04-11-2009, 1:14 PM
Steve,

While print ads are not always the most cost effective, your free ad can only be a good thing. If nothing else, it gets your name out there.

Don't discount the venue either - anyone who is reading a church bulletin is (sorry if this sounds like a stereotype) likely to be an active community member, a joiner/organizer or someone who actively celebrates things like religious holidays, graduations, life events like weddings and baptisms. You never know, your free ad may lead to a job or two, which in turn might lead to something else. Just beware, my experience taught me that churches themselves like to ask for things for free. But donations can also be great free advertising if you don't over do it.

Word of mouth and references from friends are very valuable ways to generate a good solid base, especially when you are starting out as an unknown entity. I think your Corian crosses are a good place to start showing what you can do and offer a unique gift idea which can turn into more than just first communion gifts. People are always looking for "unique" and are usually willing to pay for it.

just my opinion, OWIAITH

cheers, dee

Joe Pelonio
04-11-2009, 1:27 PM
It's been my experience recently that all of the print advertising people can accept PDF files, which you can "publish to" using Corel.

Gary Hair
04-11-2009, 5:23 PM
I figured it would be pretty simple......the File|Publish to PDF was what I needed.....thanks!

Just make sure you convert your text to curves, that way they don't have to have the fonts you used. Also make sure the pdf looks the same as your corel file - there are several options when exporting that can affect the resulting file.

Gary

Dan Hintz
04-11-2009, 8:08 PM
Instead of advertising one single item, make it a group of items... something like "Laser-engraved religious artifacts... crosses, bibles, communion wafers... if God can bless it, we can mark it" :-D