PDA

View Full Version : Cherry and Maple Stands

Bob Coleman
04-11-2009, 12:03 AM
I've been working on these for about three weeks (there are two matching) and have to take a hiatus to move before I can finish the drawer beading and the finish.

The story on them:
- Legs are made from 1.75" square blanks cut by my grandfather (probably ~15 yrs ago, he died in 2002)
- Sides and tops are made from a single 18" wide board that my father surfaced for a sideboard top and found it still too twisted. He and I laminated the sides to eliminate this problem, planed the tops some, then flattened them against the body with screws and clips.
- Drawer fronts were cut from apron pieces my grandfather laminated and put away probably 10 yrs ago (He put away maple drawer fronts cut for a 1" lower rail, I used a 3/4" lower rail, so needed more drawer fronts. For those of you cringing that I destroyed the aprons, don't worry, there are 18 left)
- Drawer sides and bottoms were also in the box of table parts from Granddad.
- Beading pieces were cut and shaped from a maple lab bench top salvaged from my father's lab at Emory University.

Dewey Torres
04-11-2009, 1:25 AM
Very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing!

John Keeton
04-11-2009, 5:21 AM
Not only are these some really nice tables, but the heritage makes a wonderful story. Somehow, for the benefit of those that may follow you, this all needs to be documented - perhaps then permanently decoupaged to the drawer bottom??? Just too much history here to let it fade away.

Seems the older I get, the more that kind of thing means to me. None of my lineage were woodworkers, but I do recall not being sentimental about other objects that I now wish I had felt differently about.