PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment center for LCD tv

James Sweeney
04-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Tried to build this one quickly because I didn't want to spend over $400.00 on something from the store that I thought was junk. Made a lot of mistakes on this one, but did learn a lot. First time trying to build a cabinet. Made mostly from maple plywood from the borg. what junk. In the middle of the project I found a much better place for plywood, for the same price as the borg. The top piece is figured cherry plywood from owl Lumber, a great place to shop. Cabinet frame is maple ply, with maple face frame. Cherry for doors, top, and drawer fronts. I used the blum hinges for the doors and they had the soft close devices for 5.00 a piece so I tried them and love them, they are great for kids. went with tempered glass for doors. More money but worth the piece of mind with the kids. any comments are welcome. Thanks for looking.

John Keeton
04-11-2009, 5:13 AM
James, this project came together very well. That top looks great. Looks like you did an inlay border? What finish did you use as the top looks nearly French polished - very nice!

Smart move on the tempered glass - worth the extra money for piece of mind.

Working with that cheap plywood really makes one appreciate the good stuff;)

Jim Kountz
04-11-2009, 7:38 AM
First time building a cabinet?? Thats hard to believe, this thing looks great!! I think you did a fantastic job with this and look forward to seeing some more from you in the future!!
I like the yellow Tonka truck in the photo. I put many a mile on one just like that some 40 years ago!!

Roger Gilmore
04-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Great Job, I love how the bottom drawer blends in- I felt the same as you so I built a media console for myself as well. I used a granite top-I dont think I could have done as well as you did on the top- well done.

Ron Bontz
04-11-2009, 6:11 PM
Hmmm. Looks like a defective LCD. It has a bright light in it. You should send it to my place for further evaluation.:D Nice work btw.:)

John Thompson
04-11-2009, 6:20 PM
Frist job on a cabinet using BORG ply on top of that.. huh? Throw in tempered glass.. hanging hinges.. etc. and my guess would have not been first try. You did an excellent job and I will second or third the choice of the tempered glass regardless of cost. Probably much less expensive than a trip to the emergency room and all the fun that goes with that.

Well done...

Sarge..

James Sweeney
04-11-2009, 7:59 PM
Thanks guys! It's good that the camera hides a lot. there are a lot of mistakes. John, the finish was just minwax water based poly. I wanted to keep the maple from yellowing. My friend is a painter and offered to spray it for me . we did it in my garage. Definitely no where near as nice as a french polish. I wish I knew how to do that also. Finishing is definitely when I get nervous about a project. Guys, I really need some help with finishing this project though. I have built 2 drawers for the middle and I am lost with what type of drawer front to make for this. Any idea's are appreciated. I have the drawers build and need to make the fronts that I will glue and screw on the front to overlay the face frame by about 1/2 inch like the doors.

James Sweeney
04-11-2009, 8:19 PM
Also, to clarify, the top piece of figured cherry plywood is "not" from the borg. I was suprised to find figured plywood anywhere. It really saved a step by not having to veneer.

Jim Becker
04-12-2009, 9:25 AM
James, I think you did a great job on this project.

I've been lucky with getting some wonderful QS cherry figure in the nominal 1/4" ply that my local supplier carries and have put it to good use. It pays to look through the stack when you are afforded the opportunity!

John Keeton
04-12-2009, 9:49 AM
James, the doors look like they are thicker than 1/2". Could they be 3/4"? I would lean toward a door here to match the others, but with a solid panel of maple, but you are probably too far along to do the hinge drilling??

If I did drawer fronts, I would probably do solid. If you did paneled fronts, the rails/stiles would need to be the same as the doors, and the panels would be pretty small - might look too busy.

Pat Germain
04-12-2009, 10:40 AM
That project turned out great, James. It will certainly outlast the $400 example from a local retailer.

James Sweeney
04-12-2009, 9:34 PM
thanks for the reply John. They are 3/4 " doors. I agree frame and panel drawers would look strange I think becuase the rails and stiles would be pretty wide like you said to match the doors and I think that wouldn't leave much for a panel. I made a solid wood front, but it just looks kind of boxy. I am here is what I have but it doesn't have any finish on it, maybe that's why it looks so strange. do you think this would look ok as a drawer front?

Dewey Torres
04-12-2009, 9:44 PM
Great looking and YOU MADE IT...so far better than store bought.

Also I see you had the tv on the correct channel...poor Kenny Perry, I was rooting for him. At any rate the older guys beat all the young bucks this year. It will be exiting to see the other majors! Golf season:cool:

Bruce Page
04-12-2009, 9:50 PM
Looks great James. I'm glad you went the tempered glass for the doors, most people would wimp out on that.

Mark Hulette
04-14-2009, 9:25 AM
Great looking and YOU MADE IT...so far better than store bought.

Also I see you had the tv on the correct channel...poor Kenny Perry, I was rooting for him. At any rate the older guys beat all the young bucks this year. It will be exiting to see the other majors! Golf season:cool:

I agree with everyone's comments, James. You did good!

Dewey- I noticed the Masters on there, too. This was my first year watching it in HD... life will never be the same! :cool: KP is a class act--- we were pulling so hard for him.

Charlie Jones
04-14-2009, 5:17 PM
Nice. I have one on my "wait" list. To do soon for LOML

jim carter
04-15-2009, 8:02 PM
this is an entertainment center i built 5 years ago. someone gave me the doors and i designed the entertainment center oround the size of the doors and all the electronics. oak plywood and face frame from home depot. all slides and other hardware from rockler. a couple of my turnings visible on the top shelves. the vase on the left is a scotchbroom burl.

jim carter
04-15-2009, 8:28 PM
nice work for a beginner. you must have some background in construction and drafting.

James Sweeney
04-15-2009, 11:57 PM
No not really Jim, just read a lot on this forum and look at a lot of pictures. I use this site all the time to get idea's. For almost every project I do, someone on this site has already done it.

Kyle Kaldor
04-17-2009, 9:28 AM
Very nice work James!! I am confused on how your TV is on the stand, though. It looks like its not on the stand, but attached to something in front of the window.

James Sweeney
04-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Good observation Kyle. Yes, it's not on the stand at all. the stand was only made to hold my components. The tv is mounted on the wall behind. All the wires are run inside the wall as well. This was primarily to keep kids from tipping over my new tv. :)