PDA

View Full Version : Dog Dish holder

James Sweeney
04-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Made this for a friends dog. wood is maple and walnut. Used my new beadlock jig worked pretty well. finish is minwax tung oil. WHich I know is not real tung oil. I wiped it on with an old sock. worked pretty well. i like the way it brought out the depth of the walnut. fun little project. used my scroll saw to cut the holes for dishes, they didn't have to be perfect circles. Hope you enjoy. Got the idea from posts on this forum.

Dewey Torres
04-11-2009, 1:24 AM
James,
That is a fine looking set. Since you have a scrollsaw...next time you build one think about inlaying the dogs name:cool:. I too like the finish.:)

Jim Kountz
04-11-2009, 7:43 AM
Thanks alot James, the wife saw this and guess what, Now I got me another project to do!!
Good job on this and I have to agree the finish is really nice!!

Larry Fox
04-11-2009, 8:42 AM
That's nice James - I like the 3-sided splash guards you have on there, good idea. I also like the finish. My boxer slings kibble everywhere and those would cut down on that for sure.

John Thompson
04-11-2009, 6:06 PM
Nice little project, James.. Looks good and I also like the splash shield. Dogs seem to not have the greatest of bowl manners. When you're hon-gry... you're hon-gry. :)

Sarge..

Jeremy Polk
04-11-2009, 7:15 PM
Great job, I think I might borrow your idea for my own dog. Getting the bowls up off the floor should make him feel more important, I mean, he is my best friend !!

James Sweeney
04-11-2009, 7:43 PM
thanks for the comments guys. Dewey, funny you should mention the dogs name. I attemped to rout it in the back splash, using the sign crafter. It did not turn out well at all. Looked real bad. I'll try to attach a pic later. So I made a new back piece. I wish I new how to inlay the names with a scroll saw. I don't have that skill yet. Do you know of a post about doing that technique, that would come in real handy. Just to set things strait though, I got the idea for this from this site. I modified slightly but not really my design. Thanks for the comments guys.

Dewey Torres
04-11-2009, 8:40 PM
James,
You are in luck. Just a router with a 1/8th inch downcut spiral (the same one that comes with the brass inlay kit) and you can print your font from the computer and trace it onto the wood with carbon paper and route to the line. Don't be afraid of freehand routing. The 1/16" depth gives you a lot of control and almost eliminates worry of the wood catching beacuse the router has more weight than the amount of material you are hogging out. Read these but don’t use turquoise rather Red Crimson. It will come out like in my album under inlay examples. Click on my name and view the albums. It is the little foot stool I inlaid for my brother in-law. Here are the reads associated:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100825&highlight=turquoise

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=105508&highlight=dewey+torres

http://stores.ebay.com/GILMER-ROCK-SHOP_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d999QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Dewey Torres
04-11-2009, 9:07 PM
Here is the basis for double bevel marquetry:

http://www.scrollsaws.com/images/TipVideo/Lathe/inlay1bb.wmv

You could try this on the scrollsaw but it takes some practice to get good enough to do letters.

James Sweeney
04-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Wow, that's great info!! Thanks a lot Dewey!!!

John Michaels
04-12-2009, 12:17 AM
That's a great looking piece for our four-legged friends. I need to make one for my dogs. Nice job!!

John Olson
04-12-2009, 9:37 PM
James I have done letters with a scroll saw. You take two contrasting woods and hold them togeather. Then you scroll out you letters. Now just switch them dark for light. They will fit because you cut them togeather. Show pictures.

Dewey Torres
04-12-2009, 9:39 PM
John,
That is what I was trying to show in the video for post #9. If you tilt the table you can eliminate the small gap caused by the saw kerf.

James Sweeney
04-12-2009, 10:07 PM
yes, I watched that video Dewey, very good. easy to see what you are talking about. Although seeing it done and being able to do it myself are 2 different things. I like your inlay technique also. I am dying to try both.

Dewey Torres
04-12-2009, 10:10 PM
yes, I watched that video Dewey, very good. easy to see what you are talking about. Although seeing it done and being able to do it myself are 2 different things. I like your inlay technique also. I am dying to try both.

I'll be here to help when you do. I always help folks with inlay when my abilities permit.

Lee Schierer
04-14-2009, 3:16 PM
That design looks sort of familiar....:D

I think I should have put the black and side splash pieces on the one I made for my dog. For some reason he seems to think we put the good food on the bottom of his dish so he pushes all the pieces on top out of the bowl with his nose to get to the ones underneath.

James Sweeney
04-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Yeah Lee, I think there was a thread you commented on that I saw and someone had a picture from a web site of a store bought one. That's kind of what I modeled mine after. Bascally it's just like a hall table I made but smaller. If I were fined for every time I stole an idea from someone on this site, I would be broke. :)

Frank Townend
04-16-2009, 4:52 AM
That is beautiful James. Well done.