PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

John Fricke
04-10-2009, 8:31 PM
My apologies, I couldn't think of a short title appropriate for this post. I just ordered my Mustard, I also have a small VS Jet that I am definately keeping. My question is: Anybody have any thoughts on why I would need or want to keep my old Rockwell (46-450 I believe). I havn't come up with a reason to keep it but thought I would ask in case I overlooked something. I'm not sure what these bring but it is complete and in pretty decent shape. Seems like I should be able to get $400 or so out of it that I can convert into a hollowing system.

alex carey
04-10-2009, 8:39 PM
Unless you have tons of room I'd get rid of it. You might think of something but I certainly can't. Maybe a buffing station but you have your smaller lathe for that.

Congrats on the new lathe!

Alex

Dick Sowa
04-10-2009, 8:43 PM
I had a similar "problem" with my old craftsman lathe, after I got my mustard. I turns out I use the old lathe a LOT more than I ever imagined I would.

I do segmented bowls a lot, and when flattening rings, having a second lathe handy to do that is a real plus. Also, I don't have a thickness sander, and have made an adjustable platform that lets me do some minor thickness sanding on rings and thin strips for feature rings with the old lathe. If nothing else, you could mount some buffing wheels on it and use it as buffing station :)

My advice...hang onto it for awhile. If you don't use it for say, 6 months, then put it on the market.

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2009, 10:19 PM
John - I still have my old Craftsman mono-tube and am using it as a disk sander. Course, my old lathe isn't worth $400 but if I had a chance to sell it - I would! I could use the room and in your case - I can imagine you could use the hollowing system!

Jim Kountz
04-10-2009, 10:40 PM
+1 for the buffing setup. I REALLY wish I had kept my old one just for this.

charlie knighton
04-11-2009, 3:49 AM
seems like a lot of us have duplicate lathes sitting around, i have a delta with reeves drive looking for a home, i vote for selling it, since getting the jet the delta has only been used as a buffer until i got my Don Pencil buffing adaptor, the jet is much better as a buffer because i can slow it down :D